Honda XRV Forum banner

41 - 60 of 451 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi I recently purchased my bike and i am in the process of sourcing a new full exhaust system for a bit more grunt and noise, I anyone can point me in the direction of a reasonably priced supplier i would be grateful. Also I want to tidy up the mass of pipes going to the smog filter etc, as I cant imagine all these filters helping with performance, could anyone who has had a clean up send me some pics of what you have and have not removed?

Cheers Woody :thumbright:

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Hi I recently purchased my bike and i am in the process of sourcing a new full exhaust system for a bit more grunt and noise, I anyone can point me in the direction of a reasonably priced supplier i would be grateful. Also I want to tidy up the mass of pipes going to the smog filter etc, as I cant imagine all these filters helping with performance, could anyone who has had a clean up send me some pics of what you have and have not removed?

Cheers Woody :thumbright:
Hello,

Please see my links in my previous posts. These show you exactly what to do to remove the smog filters etc.....

Mat

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi I was wondering what performance advantages removing the smog pump ect makes ?

Cheers

Rob
UPDATE

Hello all again

I have been quite busy with my FMX over the past few nights. I have removed the smog filter and pump, the moisture filter and the carbon filter from the motor. This gets rid of loads of crappy pipe work and plastic bits and makes the motor far more tidy.
I have made some mods to the carb too. I have drilled out the air holes on the bottom of the slide on the diaphragm open to 4mm and I have replaced the main jet with a 220 from a 168 !!! I also lifted the needle by 1mm (with a tiny 1mm thick washer)
I have been testing quite a few different size main jets from 180 to the present 220 but it is still running a bit lean so I will be sticking in a 240 this weekend as I am off to the TT on it.
I have a 240 and 250 main so I will try the 240, do a plug chop and if needbe I will stick in the 250.
The crank breather now goes into fresh air and not into the airbox and the whole transformation is very good.
The power now I far smoother and far more grunty. The wheel easily comes up, RIGHT UP in 1st and 2nd just on power alone and it can easily be lifted in 3rd with a bit of clutching !

More updates when I get back !!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Hi I was wondering what performance advantages removing the smog pump ect makes ?

Cheers

Rob

Hi,

There are no performance advantages gained by removing the smog pump alone, it is just a tidying up exercise really but it does remove a pipe that vents the exhaust to the airbox so I suppose it could help a little.
The other mods I have listed make a big difference to the power output of the bike though and are welll worth doing.
if you have the candy to spend then get a pumper-carb and pump from ABP in Germany as it will be even better than a modded std carb.
Unfortunately I have not had chance to fully finish my mods as I race 600s and that’s where all my money has been going but i want it to be done soon for the IOM in June.
all the mods are simple and easy to follow if you use the links to the '4strokers' forum and posts which are in my earlier posts.

I will be taking some pics this week hopefully so I will stick em on here.

Cheers

Mat

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi all,

New to the website i must say some great info on here i was inspired by mergoofmx's posts so i went and ordered some arrow headers to go with the end cans which i already have on the bike i also ordered a K & N And dyno jet kit do you think the mods will make a big difference.

Many Thanks

J5

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hi all,

New to the website i must say some great info on here i was inspired by mergoofmx's posts so i went and ordered some arrow headers to go with the end cans which i already have on the bike i also ordered a K & N And dyno jet kit do you think the mods will make a big difference.

Many Thanks

J5

Welcome pal,

you will defiantly notice a difference if you stick on some headers alone as the std ones are a far smaller diameter than the arrow ones, this will get plenty more gasses out the big 650 !
the dyno kit will help I have heard, I didn’t use it as I couldn’t justify the 60 odd quid price so i modded my carb myself and its now running spot on.
I recommend getting rid of all the smog pipes etc too as they are messy as hell on there, it doesn’t make any difference to the emissions too as they don’t check for emissions on bikes(MOT).
let us know how you go on.

cheers

Mat

·
Registered
21 Posts
It certainly is a gsxr 1000 it's shaun harris a the TT Just before he smashed himself up in a big way, I had a chat with with shaun last week on the TT Forum and he is doing fine but will not be making a return to the TT As he wants to focus on the family and not killing himself.

I dont race but love road racing especially the TT I go for a couple of weeks every year and have done the TT For the last 9 years i cant get enough of it it's truely awesome.

I followed the racing quite a lot last year and in the summer was watching racing almost every weekend a few of the events listed below which i watched last year.

J5

• Isle of man TT
  • Jurby races
  • Southern 100
  • Followed new era races
  • Followed auto 66 club races
  • Watched a lot of the BSB Rounds ( Cadwell park 3 day pissup )
  • Manx GP

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
It certainly is a gsxr 1000 it's shaun harris a the TT Just before he smashed himself up in a big way, I had a chat with with shaun last week on the TT Forum and he is doing fine but will not be making a return to the TT As he wants to focus on the family and not killing himself.

I dont race but love road racing especially the TT I go for a couple of weeks every year and have done the TT For the last 9 years i cant get enough of it it's truely awesome.

I followed the racing quite a lot last year and in the summer was watching racing almost every weekend a few of the events listed below which i watched last year.

J5

• Isle of man TT
  • Jurby races
  • Southern 100
  • Followed new era races
  • Followed auto 66 club races
  • Watched a lot of the BSB Rounds ( Cadwell park 3 day pissup )
  • Manx GP
Nice one, i was there when he dropped it, NOT GOOD. Hope he is recovering well, pass on regards from the TT public !
I go every year too so if you see a very noisy FMX with a cut down front fender and MX decals probably on the back wheel, its me !! ha ha

·
Registered
21 Posts
K&N fliter fitted last night no problem at all and i remebered to remove the O ring on the inner & outer of the airbox New header pipes have arrived but i stripped one of the bolts removing the standard headers last night so i have a little bit of thread hanging out of the cylinder head which i have sprayed up with WD40 So hopefully the bugger will come out,

Will put back together with pipes and filter before adding dyno jet kit will keep you posted .

J5:thumbright:

·
Registered
27 Posts
nice one j5 you will see a big difference all round once she's set up much more fun .My fmx650 goes on the dyno on Friday so looking forward to seeing the increases Ill keep you informed .
Rob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi guys,

been reading through this thread for a few weeks as I too want to get some more umph out of my FMX.

Expecting delivery of some Mivv X-Cone cans, arrow headers, K&N and dyno kit any day now. I got my smog block-off plates from some guy off ebay the other day and I've been attempting to sort that today.

I've got quite far on with the removal, but I've got a bit stuck and I'm looking for some help from anyone who's already done this.

I'm following these instructions http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xrlsmog/ and I'm up to step 17. Bit bamboozled what to do next as obviously these pics are for the XR and not FMX. If anyone can guide me in from here that would be great (and you'll have to dumb it down as I'm not mechanically minded, infact I can't believe I've got this far without breaking anything!!)

Thanks in advance, Matt

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Matt,

Not sure how I can help you without showing you with pics etc and I cant get any at the moment.
If you just remove ALL the pipes connecting to the smog unit, block off the barrels, block off the airbus hole which the smog pipe vented into, vent the crankcase to atmosphere (you can jublee clip a gauze to the end of this so no shit drops into the engine. That’s about it pal.
What are you struggling with? There are quite a few posts on the 4strokes site, just go back a page from the link you have and there are loads of smog removal tips.

Regards,

Mat

·
Registered
13 Posts
cheers for getting back Mat.

As it stands the only thing connecting my smog pump to the bike is the pipe that has wire coiled round it, that appears to go up under the petrol tank somewhere. I've removed the bracket and blocked of the barrels.

And the charcoal canister is only connected via the pipe coming off the top of it, I managed to remove the pipe connecting it to the crankcase.

I'm getting confused where to disconnect these remaining pipes and do I need to route the crankcase bit to the airbox as shown in tutorial on 4strokes??? (told you I'm not down with the mechanical lingo!!)

Just got confirmation all my goodies are coming on monday, have you seen the x-cone cans for the FMX?

Cheers again, Matt

·
Registered
21 Posts
Matt,

I have not yet removed the smog filter and dont know what if any the benefits are as mergoo said it makes it look nice and tidy but does not increase performance.

Iam going to finish fitting the bits and bats this weekend so hopefully i will be able to report some on the changes in the bike.

I see you live in leeds i only live down the road in pontefract do you get over to squires for a coffee at all???

J5

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Guys , had my fmx on the dyno today and not good news, running very lean on 160 main jet supplied in the dyno jet kit, here's the story so far, full Arrow exhaust system , k&N filter with modified air box,dyno jet kit fitted as per instruction with largest CJ jet supplied, as soon as the main jet comes into play runs very very lean, I have ordered a 175 main the largest in the dynojet CJ range , if thats no good , up the creek anyone got any ideas with out buying the Mikuni pump carb ?????
Cheers

Rob

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi Johnny5,

ahh Ponticarlo, just beyond Cas Vegas? I actually live over Bingley way, but am too ashamed to say I'm from Bradford!!

Went over to Squires once last summer, but on a Versys (only had FMX 2 months) We tend to go upto Sun Inn over between Otley and Harrogate. Haven't been on FMX there yet due to all this shitty weather, but can't wait 'cos there's miles upon miles of twisties!

Let me know how you get on with your new bits, should have mine done next week sometime (if i can figure out this smog thing!)

Might see you at squires if we get a nice weekend.
Ta'ra matt

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
cheers for getting back Mat.

As it stands the only thing connecting my smog pump to the bike is the pipe that has wire coiled round it, that appears to go up under the petrol tank somewhere. I've removed the bracket and blocked of the barrels.

And the charcoal canister is only connected via the pipe coming off the top of it, I managed to remove the pipe connecting it to the crankcase.

I'm getting confused where to disconnect these remaining pipes and do I need to route the crankcase bit to the airbox as shown in tutorial on 4strokes??? (told you I'm not down with the mechanical lingo!!)

Just got confirmation all my goodies are coming on monday, have you seen the x-cone cans for the FMX?

Cheers again, Matt
How do,

you will have to wip the tank off as the pipes mount onto another filter box under there, remove that too. if you look at the pics on the 4strokes site that show you the pipes removed you can see what’s what.
the main difference it makes is that the carb and carb area are far more accessible and it looks shit with it all on. Its upto you though, all the tuning tips say to remove it all, ive seen loads on the net so it must contribute somehow. How can the gasses that are coming out the barrel be beneficial to the running if they vent into the airbox, its breathing used air !!
mat

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Hi Guys , had my fmx on the dyno today and not good news, running very lean on 160 main jet supplied in the dyno jet kit, here's the story so far, full Arrow exhaust system , k&N filter with modified air box,dyno jet kit fitted as per instruction with largest CJ jet supplied, as soon as the main jet comes into play runs very very lean, I have ordered a 175 main the largest in the dynojet CJ range , if thats no good , up the creek anyone got any ideas with out buying the Mikuni pump carb ?????
Cheers

Rob

Rob,

The jet sizes are in metric mm > 165 jet is 1.65 mm. if your motor is still runing lean on a 175 (which it should be as you have the same set-up as me) then send a 1.8 or 2mm drill down it. make sure its straight and it will be fine. thats what i did and i am using a 245 jet and it has loads of power and has a great burn on the plug !!

mat

41 - 60 of 451 Posts