Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for another bike, and I wanted something a bit supermotery :shock: 8)

Having said that I dont know the first thing about them :p :oops:

I did a bit of reading and so far have honed in on hondas fmx650, and the suzukis drz400sm.

I havent had a test ride of either yet.

The purpose of the bike will be mainly a winter hack, daily commuter, and wannabe hooligan machine - want to pop my wheelie and stoppie cherry :shock: :p

This is because I love my transalp and dont want to abuse it. :wink:

The bike should also be

economical
good mpg
easy to work on
cheap for parts and tarting up
swift enough
not too high a seat height - im a shortass :oops:

Any views on the two above, or can you think of others I should look at.

thanks

·
Geeking it out!
1,061 Posts
I would go for the DRZ, I had the 400S trail bike version running on Avon Distanzia tyres, the bike was FUN! great handling even I could get the front wheel airborn, however the reason I changed to a Transalp, I wouldn't / couldn't stand more the 30 mins in the saddle, it being hard and narrow, also the seat height on the DRZ is sky high. If I could afford two bikes
I would have my DRZ back and keep the TA.

This months Motorcycle Sport and Leisure magazine has a review of the DRZ 400 SM

·
Registered
281 Posts
The DRZ scores on low insurance,lightweightt,great fuel economy,great fun,no major reliability issues with the massive motor,the torque is amazing.An aftermarket gel seat and handlebar risers are a good idea also.If you can source a set of supermoto wheels with an S or E model do.The saddle is tall but narrow,the suspension soft ,so no major issues with being stable at traffic lights.Being lifted would be your major worry I think.

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cbcommuter said:
if you want all that from a bike try one of these

http://groups.msn.com/CB500CLUB/bikesforsale.msnw

cheers darren
Intewesting! Ive never really thought about a cb500 - but having looked at the site they seem a really good all rounder. I was attracted to the supermotery thing as I like the look of the bikes - but I also want something to hack in winter and thrash basically as Ive been such a sensible biker to date I make myself sick :oops: :shock: :D

As you seem to know a bit about this bike - what one do you think is better - the new cbf500 or a newish old cb500.

For the other input on the motards - thanks guys - but I think Im changing my mind a bit.

The drz is the one I would plumb for if I go that way - but yeah, insurance is high in essex for em precisely because theyre rated as highly nickable - and I dont have a garage!!

·
Registered
145 Posts
i would go for a cb5(old shape)cheaper to run and can find spare parts easy had mine 6yrs now and except for services,tyres,and c/s its only had 1 clutch cable and 2 speedo cables( this is due to running all year round) hope this helps
cheers darren

1 - 6 of 6 Posts