Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my ABP headers in the post during the week

First I noticed that the welds inside the pipes were a bit lumpy so I ground them down a bit, I only took the peaks off because I don't want them to fall apart someday

Step 1: Take off the heat shield and unbolt the clamps then the header bolts

Step 2: Remove the pipes

Step 3: Slip the new pipes in and bolt them up

Step 4: Wipe everything down and attach the heat shield

It looks much better and engine response is great. I'll try it on the open road tomorrow

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Tidy looking, nice job. :)

Those ABP headers have been rumoured to give a bit of extra poke to the old RFVC single, curious what your experience will be, I've been considering them for the NX...

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
Tidy looking, nice job. :)

Those ABP headers have been rumoured to give a bit of extra poke to the old RFVC single, curious what your experience will be, I've been considering them for the NX...
If you replace both headers and end-cans, add a KN filter and a bigger airbox opening up top, re-jet the carb (don't use default kits -- you WILL need bigger needles) and cut a few teeth on the rear sprocket, you can get some 50-odd hp from this little engine. Mind you, pretty close to the red zone.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I rode to work this morning and the bike is running great, top speed has gone up 15-20kph from around 130!
Mid range feel smoother and there is a very slight deepening of the exhaust tone (but that could also be my imagination)

Also, the headers are after turning a nice light golden brown :cool:

PS: I shimmed the carb needles last week and swapped to a 170 dynojet main jet (the biggest I had) because I knew the headers would lean out an already lean bike.
Unfortunatly no photos so that writeup will have to wait a few months until I rejet again for the Arrow system I intend to get

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
If you replace both headers and end-cans, add a KN filter and a bigger airbox opening up top, re-jet the carb (don't use default kits -- you WILL need bigger needles) and cut a few teeth on the rear sprocket, you can get some 50-odd hp from this little engine. Mind you, pretty close to the red zone.
Yeah, I know about rejetting. Don't intend to replace the can, got a produro of the non noisy persuasion that suits me just fine (no need to wake the neighbours), already got a K&N and a snorkelectomy and believe it or not in my case the bike actually runs best with a main jet that's one size smaller than stock. ;-)

(Though the first order of business for my dommie is fixing the clutch basket. Or finding time for same, it's been sitting for over a year already :roll:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
@ topicstarter:

With which end cans are you using the ABP headers?

I also have the ABP headers and I also noticed difference while I run atm with standard cans. (will buy Arrow cans for the summer)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@ topicstarter:

With which end cans are you using the ABP headers?

I also have the ABP headers and I also noticed difference while I run atm with standard cans. (will buy Arrow cans for the summer)
I'm currently running standard cans and like you I'll be buying Arrow cans in the summer.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok thanks, and what do you mean by "snorkelectomy" ??

Do you mean you took out the snorkel or did you do something else? :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok thanks, and what do you mean by "snorkelectomy" ??

Do you mean you took out the snorkel or did you do something else? :)
Not my phrase but I believe it means taking the snorkel out.

I took mine out, cut 99% off and put the remainder back in for a "clean" look.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi I'm trying to find headers for my fmx , I've got mivv gp cans already but struggling to find any headers where can I find some please and rough prices cheers

1 - 18 of 18 Posts