Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my anti-smog block off kit in the post during the week

The kit includes 2 engine plates, an airbox plug and a selection of vacuum line plugs.

This is the part I intend to remove, the anti-smog system, what I know as the PAIR (pulsed air injection) system

Step 1: Unbolt the air valves & pipes just below the two exhausts
The mounting plate behind the valves can also be removed (I put two short bolts back in to plug the holes)

Step 2: Block off the holes below the exhausts with plates provided
Notice that the plates are an irregular size, I matched them up before bolting them to the engine
Also be sure to use a high temperature gasket to make a good seal

Step 3: Find and remove the vacuum valve
Mine was hidden right up under the petrol tank

Step 4: Disconnect the tubing connecting this valve to the airbox
I cut a few inches off the tube to stick the plug into so I could seal off the airbox

Step 5: Blank off the vaccum lines with a plug
I disconnected all the vaccum lines and replaced the connection to the accelerator pump with the second longest tube, this avoids the need for a plug on the vacuum tee

Complete: The engine looks much tidier

and look at all the parts I'm left with

·
Registered
45 Posts
You are a lucky man.

I ordered few months ago the IMS kit but got only the iron plates.

So I had no Airbox plug.. (I taped it so there is no air coming in now..)

And I also had no vacuum plugs :(
I don't have any solution for that at the moment, I have bended the hose on the cross section 180 degrees but I don't know if it's fully closed now..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By the way, why didn't you also remove the black cannister with al his hoses??
I like the idea of a puke can, it prevents any oil spray from being spat into the airbox. I might get something smaller in the future or wrap it in an energy drink can

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
Removing the puke can (nice comparison, btw) is not really useful if you just replace it with a straight hose leading to the airbox.

I'd replace it with a long hose leading under the seat, where I'd end it in a small crankcase breather filter. And plug the airbox hole while I'm there.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Removing the puke can (nice comparison, btw) is not really useful if you just replace it with a straight hose leading to the airbox.

I'd replace it with a long hose leading under the seat, where I'd end it in a small crankcase breather filter. And plug the airbox hole while I'm there.
That's a better idea, I did almost the same on my Vmax :thumbup:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And I also had no vacuum plugs :(
I don't have any solution for that at the moment, I have bended the hose on the cross section 180 degrees but I don't know if it's fully closed now..
You don't need the vacuum plugs! From the photos above you should be able to see where I took out all the hoses (including the T) and put back the second shortest one on it's own

Looking at this photo, I assume it's the green line that you kinked? The blue lines wrap around the carb.

Below is the single blue line that I put back in to connect the accelerator pump to the vacuum stud in the manifold. No T joint, no extra tube, no plugs

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I did not remove the canister on the RHS of the engine (green thing labeled C in the diagram) it is a completly seperate system to the Anti-Smog system. I'm not even sure that there is any charcoal in it, I think it's just a condenser for the fumes that rise from the engine!
I only removed the parts in blue and re-routed the vacuum lines (not shown in your diagram)

and this is what I'm currently left with, maybe someday I'll remove the big canister as you did and run a direct line from the engine breather (carter vent) to the airbox (the dotted line in your diagram)

One question: Do you notice any extra oil residue in your airbox?
at least the procedure is reversable if it gets a bit messy

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hi,

I've not looked up to my airbox yet.
It was before the Winter felt in, I did one small testdrive with it.

There was some difference, it looked like it runs a bit smoother without all those things.

In the nex few months I will inspect those things and will re-route the vacuum line at the carb.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hi chaps iv just purchased a 05 fmx its already kitted with a K&N and full arrow system :p can you tell me the benifits of removing the smog filter and where i can order 1 off these kits ?? lee

·
Romanian Trailbiker
616 Posts
Less crap on the left side of the engine. Cleaner intake = more accurate running. In terms of power, maybe a 1% increase? :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
cheers. anybody know where i can order a kit as the only ones i can find are on ebay and come from the U S of A.... surely theres some where in the UK does them ????????????????????????????????:confused:

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
You could always make your own taint ard two bits of ally wif holes a bit of bodging and Bob,s your autie Mayble:D
These guys have already done the hard work for ya, now it's your turn

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

i am searching for the smog system mount to adapt on Dominator engine.
Do you still have it at home ?

I only miss the two small"clapet" inside the box and the mount.

Thanks smog system mount.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
It's right the same.
Let me know how much you want.
I know the shipping should be around 12 GBP, that's quite a lot for old parts ... as you want, only the mount or complete set.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have FMX 650 and a full Artow system and a Mikuni TM 36/40 carb. I am getting the bike set up at Mottac Racing bht need to take some spare jets for them to use / try. It has a 140 at the moment any one advise on what ill need.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Would like to do this but I can't see any of your pictures probably because I only have a android phone and where would I buy the kit from please cheers Dave

1 - 20 of 20 Posts