Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This mod will work for older (PD06) Transalps and also the RD03 and RD04 Africa twins.

As a reminder, I'm a Yank and therefore (among other things) the part number for the filter may not exist in your part of the world.

I've never been happy with my paper Transalp filters since I prefer to have something that can be serviced in the field with a minimum of difficulty. Also, I've never really trusted the K&N stuff.

Here's a little step-by-step to get a good cleanable foam filter stuck onto the good ol' TA.

First remove the old dirty paper filter and cut the paper off the cage with a knife (if you want to make your wife angry) or a razor blade.

This step may not be necessary but I wanted to have as much "lip" to catch the new foam filter as possible. I used a Dremel with a carbide bit to grind off the paper that was left along with the adhesive (epoxy I think) that was used to seal the paper to the metal. The adhesive is tough and is not easily scraped or cut off. Use caution if you're trying edged tools here. The Dremel worked very well. Be careful that you don't go through the metal. Do both sides.

I then proceeded to the local shop where the owner and I searched through their stock of filters to find something close in internal and external diameter and overall length. I found a UNI that worked. The number is NU 2483 ST. I have no idea what bike this filter is supposed to fit....doesn't really matter.

Cut the filter right below the joint between the yellow (denser) foam and the red foam of the filter body.

The filter then gets stretched over the screen and the top gets tucked in.

But before you do this step, be sure to grease the both edges of the foam where they contact the metal. This will keep air from sneaking around the edges.

Tuck the top under the metal lip and make sure the edges are sealed all around.

Spray with filter oil and you're done. Total time - about 3 hrs including the trip to the shop and the filter search....plus maybe 30 minutes for bench-racing.

It even fits.

A quick test ride shows no effect to jetting, no lean spots, no surging. Seems to work just fine. I may even buy another filter to keep in a baggie so changing in the field is easy.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Fantastically useful post!!

It's like you read my mind! I have recently bought a sheet of air filter foam with a view to making the exact same thing.

The disadvantage I face is that, being a sheet, I'll need to cut it and glue it down one side. I'm stuck on which glue (geddit?) would be good as it would need to be oil resistant, yet still be stretchy for when the filter is cleaned.

Eitherway, though I hope to end up with the same system and it is great to know that jet seems unaffected!

Thanks again and if you have thoughts on glues, let me know!

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
I goggled that filter. It apparently fits an Arctic Cat, DUX-400 ATV...:confused:

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
I've got an old filter sitting awaiting just the sort of attention ladder106 has lavished on his.

Now, where can I get a suitable foam filter from (say's he wandering off to the local shop with a big smile on his face).

Nice to see the resourcefulness of XRV shining through yet again :thumbup:

Steve T

:cool:

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Nice work:thumbleft:

I tried this with the 650 air filter some years back, using some foam destined for a Citroen diesel (BX?), unfortunately for me, it never really worked properly - the dyno showed the bike lost 2hp over stock :(

Phil

1 - 7 of 7 Posts