Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to be wearing out the rubber bits on the footpegs alarmingly fast. I don't think I've put on that much weight recently! Never noticeably worn out footpeg rubber bits on other bikes I've had, and ridden for longer.

Maybe it's standing that does it? I don't ride off road, but I do stand a bit - it's good on cr*ppy roads (country lanes, Edinburgh streets), especially for visibility. Being able to look over the top of Transit vans is cool too :)
Anyway, I guess that the number of time you stand up, rather than the time you spend standing, is the thing that determines wear?

On closer inspection the metal part of the pegs is rusty away too! (This is only a 2001 bike...) Maybe I should just replace the pegs. They don't feel very secure to stand on anyway.

Anyone found replacement pegs at reasonable cost? Touratech seem to do a kit with new levers as well for 70 quid, but I'm not about to set off on an expedition to claim some remote wilderness for the Fatherland, so that's more than I need (and want to spend)...

Touratech seem to imply that these pegs also fit the XR ; maybe I should see what the local motocross shop stocks for XRs...

·
Registered
269 Posts
I got those footpegs from Touratech. i do a bit of offroad so they are usefull to me. They are wider and longer so more support when standing on the pegs. bit expensive though, for normal use. Normal XR pegs would be an idea.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
I always remove the footrest rubbers. The pegs are serated underneath to give better grip when standing and in the wet. Vibration doesn't seem to be a problem. You may have to reposition your gear lever depending on how big your feet/boots are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just ordered a peg for my @ from honda for the grand total of £12. This is just the steel but maybe the rubbers are similarly well priced. It certainly looks like they are sold seperately.

·
Registered
359 Posts
YEN_POWELL said:
I always remove the footrest rubbers. The pegs are serated underneath to give better grip when standing and in the wet. Vibration doesn't seem to be a problem. You may have to reposition your gear lever depending on how big your feet/boots are.
I do the same. Well, I did leave them on the RD03. I actually like them on this bike. The Transalp bikes always got the rubbers off treatment (Ooo... rubbers off treatment :wink: ).

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,036 Posts
Buzzard said:
I just ordered a peg for my @ from honda for the grand total of £12. This is just the steel but maybe the rubbers are similarly well priced. It certainly looks like they are sold seperately.
Or take mine (rubbers), I'm not using them. Used to have four, but cut two up to make new mounts for an FJ12 rear light that was continually blowing bulbs when I rode over rumble strips.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I had to order a new rubber when I first got the @ and from Honda it was only about £5.

I had rusty footpeg and hanger sindrome and had them shot blasted and powder coated black for a tenner.

Jon :D

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the ideas.

Hadn't pulled the rubbers off so I hadn't realised there were normal trailie pegs underneath :oops:

Tried the pegs without rubber, but the vibrations were pretty bad.

In the process I realised I could swap the rubbers round though - left and right being identical. At least this will double their lifetime.

BTW I found lots of suppliers of fairly cheap pegs for road bikes, but nothing for off road bikes. Touratech seemed like a cheap option :?

Did find these though:
http://www.pivotpegz.net/
pointless for me, but looked pretty trick, for anyone who can find an excuse for "needing" them!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tikka said:
I got those footpegs from Touratech. i do a bit of offroad so they are usefull to me. They are wider and longer so more support when standing on the pegs. bit expensive though, for normal use. Normal XR pegs would be an idea.
Tikka,

Any possibility you can post some pictures for us of your Touratech pegs? At 105 USD for the pair, I'd like to see what they look like installed.

Also, has anyone installed a set of pegs made for the XR650 that were not Honda OE pegs? If so, how did they fit?

Thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts