Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, REALLY rookie mistake...
I heard a squeak from my engine the other day, so next time I went to it, I checked the engine for oil... dry as a bone.. ooops...

Anyhoo, I filled it, and let it tick over fora while..
got to the point where the engine sounded 'different' and a huge plume of white smoke was ejected out of my exhaust each time I turned her over.

Took her to the garage, and they tell me I've stuffed my pistons and cam shaft... :-(

So, I'm looking for a spares and repalrs dommy, OR any advise..
i'm a motorbike newbie (but I really should have known to check my oil more often)... so if there's any chance of getting round this without crying my self to sleep each time I look at my bank balance, I'd appreciate the advice...!!

Final Q.. can I buy an engine from any dommy and it'll fit, or do I ahve to buy the same year? (L reg.. 93?)

Cheers a bunch,
Tris... :-(

·
What did I do that for...
468 Posts
Doh.
An expensive lesson.

beertastic said:
Took her to the garage, and they tell me I've stuffed my pistons and cam shaft... :-(
Hopefully they didn't tell you Piston"S" since the dommie's only got one :shock:

Sorry, pedantic I know, but you need to make sure they're on top of their game.

Anyway the way I see it is you've two options:
1. Get the garage (or 'a' garage to fix it for many £££ :shock: :evil:
2. Get a new engine from eBay or the like for less £££, but then you'll need someone to fit it for more £££ :evil:

I don't know if any engine will fit (obviously I mean any Dommie engine :roll: :lol: ) but someone will be along later to give you a (more helpful :roll: ) answer.

Good luck anyways, and keep us posted.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought as much...
I made the mistake with my first car too.. I didn't check anti freeze in time, and cracked my head gasket... booo...

Why must I learn things the hard way...!!!

·
468 Posts
beertastic said:
Why must I learn things the hard way...!!!
Learning things the hard way is fine (if a little costly and painful), so long as you do learn from them :wink:

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
Sorry to hear your bad news - dommie engines do use oil, and as youve learnt, you must check it regularly.

Other engine options are -
Honda fmx 650
Honda slr 650
or any 650 dommie engine

should all fit - i think the slr and fmx engine may be slightly down on power compared to a dommie engine, but basically identical (i think).

Garage job may cost you a lot - but as Scott says, keep an eye on e-bay as engines do pop up now and again - ithink anywhere from £250 to £500 for aused engine - also try LOTS of motorcycle breakers - you might be lucky.

Good luck

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So a dommie enguine is a dommie engine... regardless of year...?
That's awesome, jsut opened up my options..
i've found one (unknown milage at this point) for £285...

Will get details tomorrow..
Cheers!!

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
A dommie's a dommie, they're basically all the same lump. There might be slight differences but nothing that will prevent you from mounting the thing in the frame.

Off the top of my head, the earliest ones had a kickstarter which the later ones don't have, it may have the smog valve on the left side of the cylinder but that's no biggie, and I know that the gearing of the chain drive has changed over the years, not sure if that means the gearbox is different too but if it is then worst case scenario you need to change to a different chain kit... (Or get used to the different gearing.)

But yeah, dommies do use oil, they run quite hot and there's basically a reason that you have to change the oil every 2000 miles or so. I've found that if I stick to that it hardly uses any oil, but if I wait longer then it'll start burning oil in ever more alarming amounts.

·
468 Posts
Rubberchicken said:
....you have to change the oil every 2000 miles or so. I've found that if I stick to that it hardly uses any oil, but if I wait longer then it'll start burning oil in ever more alarming amounts.
Aha !

Sounds like I need to change my oil then :shock: :lol: :oops:

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Heh.
Those big thumpers are pretty rough on the oil, it may go in as 10W40 but it gets thinner over time, and the thinner it gets the easier it is to slip past something into the combustion chamber... (And when it gets thinner it gets less lubricatey as well. ;-))

G

·
Bad luck buddy :cry:

If the garage is saying piston and cam, why not just fix the top end??? While your at it you could fit a big bore kit :D Top end strip, rebore, new piston/rings/cam and voila! good motor :D

Think about it, if you get a second hand lump you could be buying someone elses bag of bolts :shock: You wont get much of a garantee if any and dommie lumps are quite rare in the first place. If your mechanic is sure you've only cooked the top half, I'd go for the staight repair of whats gone tits up.

Best of luck with it either way.

·
Registered
459 Posts
now`s your chance to enlarge the capacity eg. 680cc,and put a trick cam in it.
GO FOR IT!!!!!!! :D :D

·
Cant stop 'tinkering'
1,818 Posts
If you do go for a big bore kit, make sure you fit an oil cooler.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts