Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
51 Buell X1 & 89 Tenere
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right another one for the guys.

I need to get the fork oil changed, the front end feels dangerous to say the least. Its proabably a combination of bad tyre wear on the front, headrace/wheel bearings need replacing , but i also suspect that the forks arent up to scratch, although they have WP fork springs in them.

Do they need revalving or just a different weight of oil?

It is pogoing on ripple roads and feels like it is turning in to right handers to easily, although this could be tyre wear.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
If the bike is 'pogoing', it's the damping - oil.

Sure if the tyre & bearings are about knackered (the bike sounds like a death trap!) it won't help the 'feel'.

It's suprising how crappy fork oil can be after a few years, give it a change along with tyres & bearings. It should feel like a new bike!
Maybe worth checking for leaking fork seals - if they are leaking = low fork oil = poor damping

Phil

G

·
Do they need revalving or just a different weight of oil?
One's a lot cheaper than the other! I'd suggest changing the oil for 10w (assuming standard for the 600 is 5w) and see how you get on, but sort out the bearings and tyres first or you'll never know.

If they still feel a bit bouncy with heavier oil you may want to look at a re-valve then, but you'll only have 'wasted' £10 worth of oil and that's if you go for synthetic.

·
51 Buell X1 & 89 Tenere
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers all

·
TV boffin
328 Posts
And if you want to cheapskate, ATF (Automatic Transmission Fluid) behaves identically to 10w oil. In fact, it IS identical, but in a different bottle, with a different colour and name, for less money.

·
51 Buell X1 & 89 Tenere
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I weigh in at 80kg without clothes! , read Fat B*stard for 5' 7", So say 105kg with all clobber on. So 10w or 15w may be on.

G

·
By all means fit stronger springs if you want to (although 80kg plus kit isn't that heavy) but don't be tempted to use 15w oil - it'll screw up the damping completely. 10w is plenty. You'd only need to beef up the (rebound) damping further if you increased preload significantly which you haven't done.

·
51 Buell X1 & 89 Tenere
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
already have WP fork springs on there, does anyone know what the airgap is meant to be?

·
51 Buell X1 & 89 Tenere
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
125mm for all 600 models - spring removed, fork fully compressed.
Even with WP fork springs? These are slightly longer than stock!

G

·
Even with WP fork springs? These are slightly longer than stock!
The uncompressed length of the spring doesn't make any difference - it's the amount of air above the oil that counts. You can experiment with different air gaps if you want to but unless you're using your bike for something out of the ordinary I wouldn't bother.

·
51 Buell X1 & 89 Tenere
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The uncompressed length of the spring doesn't make any difference - it's the amount of air above the oil that counts. You can experiment with different air gaps if you want to but unless you're using your bike for something out of the ordinary I wouldn't bother.
Thanks Sproggy, Sturdy road riding only with lots of speed humps/tables.

·
51 Buell X1 & 89 Tenere
292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Update - WP suspension reckons the airgap should 160mm with their springs! That seems excessive!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts