Honda XRV Forum banner

Frame internal rust

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  chronyx 
#1 ·
Do frames rust on the inside? I saw a small hole at the front-left (near the down tubes) which gave me that sinking feeling as it looked like it had been made by a stone at first.

But on closer inspection it looks too square.

This is barmy surely, having a nice entrance for salt/water/crud/etc?

Just wondered if anyone else had thought this and if you know anymore about it than I do. :D

#2 ·
Chronyx

I suppose in theory they could rust on the inside.

Are you sure the hole isn't supposed to be there, even if it's changed shape with corrosion maybe? Could there have been a mounting there thats snapped off?

I guess if you have a hole already, you could always squirt Waxoyl (does it still exist?) in there to slow down any future corrosion.

Bob

#4 ·
I guess if you have a hole already, you could always squirt Waxoyl (does it still exist?) in there to slow down any future corrosion
You can still get waxoyl. I think it has corrosion eaters in it too, plus it's cheap so might be worth a look. I used to use it on my old bike over the winter (nightmare to clean off afterwards and creates a stink and loads of smoke if it gets hot, but inside the frame it wouldn't be an issue).

It's thick oily stuff so might fair better than ACF50 (though I don't know a lot about that stuff so maybe it's the same).

#5 ·
Hi, Mate of mine restores light aircraft which use a lot of tubing. They make sure the tubular stucture is completely sealed having run around a small amount of linseed oil inside beforehand. Some of these things are 80 years old with no internal corrosion at all. He x-rays them to prove it! OK if you have the frame off for restoration but i guess bloody hard to do on an intact bike!

#6 ·
I bought a 125 Yamaha early last year, for my partner to start riding on. A small strip down turned into a big strip down, and when I got down to the frame, I found it was completely full of oil. Quite weird I thought. Anyway I had not heard of ACF 50. After I read this thread about it, I looked it up on Ebay and sure looks good stuff. I was going over the odd bolt only yesterday and thinking there must be something better than WD40, for a quicky. I like the idea of just picking something up off the shelf, and being able to use it. Got one tin on order already.
Fanks :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.