Honda XRV Forum banner
2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  fabienlegall 
#1 ·
I guess some of you will be passing through france this summer & i wondered how many know about the "priority to the right" thing...?

If there's no road markings (stop lines or give way lines etc) & no signs at a junction, then the rule is "priority to the right". You'll probably only come across this if you're riding off the beaten track.

trafic lights can be switched to "priority to the right", they become simply amber flashing lights & everybody has to give way to vehicles approaching from the right (they do this every match night in Auxerre!).

if you come across a road sign, tiangular, white background & red border (like a give way sign) with a cross like an "X" in the center, then beware because the next junction is "priority to the right" & you may have to give way to what seems a much more minor road (or even track!).

on a roundabout, (think about this...they go t'other way round...) if you're on the inside lane & want to exit, the knobber who's going all the way round in the outside lane is on your right, so you have to give way to him!

daft? yep! but forewarned is forarmed as they say so I hope I've contributed to the forewarning bit & halped someone stay alive this summer.

MooN

See less See more
#2 ·
Priorité à droite

I thought it didn't apply to roundabouts because everyone on the roundabout would have to give way to anyone wanting to get onto one - instant gridlock!

Do you fancy explaining the yellow diamond-shaped sign?

#10 ·
I thought it didn't apply to roundabouts because everyone on the roundabout would have to give way to anyone wanting to get onto one - instant gridlock!

Do you fancy explaining the yellow diamond-shaped sign?
like jaqueslemac says, that sign means that you are on a "route prioritaire" & there will therefore be no "priority to the right signs". the priorité a droite" is Not applicable to the entry onto a roundabout, ON a 2 lane roundabout however, as on a dual carriage way, of two vehicles travelling in the same direction, the one on the right has priority, thus, if you change lane & hit the twot going all the way round the exterior, the fault will be yours...

What are the rules with regard to the striped ped crossing points?
technically; you must give way to a pedestrian engaged on the crossing... (if they've started crossing, you give way to them)

in practice (especially in Paris...) unless you happen to be a master torero,

FIND A SUBWAY...

#3 ·
What are the rules with regard to the striped ped crossing points?

#4 · (Edited)
Many roundabouts are give-way to traffic already on the roundabout like in the UK, however the busier ones - especially in the cities - are often priority to the right. Surprisingly it works well on big, busy roundabaouts (our system works really badly on big, busy roundabouts!) Essentially anyone entering and leaving at the first exit goes straight on and off without delay; anyone going all the way around might have to stop at each entrance/exit, but there's less congenstion on the inside from people joining so it's not a big problem. Everybody wins.

(I once stayed at a hotel on Place De La Republique in Paris, and from the cafe spent some time watching how it worked. Much better than those stupid part-time traffic lights.)

#6 ·
Priority to the right does NOT apply. In other words, you have right of way until you see the same sign with a black line through it.

#9 ·
In France, under the Badinta Law (named after the politician who started the ball rolling) any motorist who hits a pedestrian is deemed responsible UNLESS the motorist can prove the pedestrian was trying to commit suicide.

Doesn't matter whether the pedestrian steps out in front of you on an N-road or in a town on a zebra crossing, it'll be your fault.

Mind you, it's still a brave pedestrain who steps out onto a zebra crossing - French drivers seem to ignore them all!

#11 ·
on a roundabout, (think about this...they go t'other way round...) if you're on the inside lane & want to exit, the knobber who's going all the way round in the outside lane is on your right, so you have to give way to him!

MooN
Hi from France !

Firstly, a "French" roundabout is recognisable because it is signaled.
On a "French" roundabout you are supposed to stay on the right-hand
lane unless you take the last exist or do a full turn... Even if by doing this
you're blocking someone on you right. You can thus consider that priority
is on the left.

Secondly, an "English" roundabout (in France...) is recognisable because it is NOT signaled. It is true that you mostly find them in city centers. On an "English" roundabout, priority is on the right for "nothing tells you that priority is not on the right".

This is how the French system works: unless there's a specific signal on the road priority is always to the right. As well on highways or multiple-lane roads, unless your overtaking someone you're supposed to stay on the right-hand lane.

Hope this help,

Please feel free to ask !

++

Fabien

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.