Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One really must enjoy the pleasure of an inadvertently well crafted day, and today was one of them. I don’t work on Fridays, so they hold potential for great and varied pleasures :p.
This one started with a trip to the bank. More than one attempt to solve my need for a home has fallen by the wayside in the last year, and I was gingerly revisiting the murder scene to find out just how much I had lost on lapsed mortgage offers :(. A fair amount it turns out, but worry not because without me having to go to the inconvenience of asking for it, they offered me FIVE times my salary - to make up for the lost arrangement fees, I presume. Hasn’t there been something in the news about that sort of thing not happening anymore:confused:?
Anyway, head spinning I left and continue my internal debate about whether to go on a ride today. Blue skies and free time were in favour of the plan. Inability to breathe or go more than two minutes without blowing my nose, post Welsh weekend, argued against spending too much time inside a helmet :clown:.
There had been the beginnings of a plan for a Ros and BobA ride out, but Bob had the good sense to leave the vicinity and the XRV chivalry to provide a route for me to follow anyway. “I’ll do a little bit of it,” I thought, and Whealie did tell me to practice my corners. Well, it will come as no surprise to anyone that I resolutely missed almost every road I was aiming for and revisited quite a few than I had no intention of going to many times over. And it was blooming marvellous. That whole Surrey/Kent/West Sussex/Kent again/West Sussex again but somehow from the other direction, in the sun thing is to be recommended. I would do the routine ride out report thing of naming the roads etc., but I didn’t know where I was most of the time. But it was lovely. Green, bright and twisty. I was even in the vicinity of the national speed limit on the corners by the end, except of course when there was a car on the other side of the road and then I tried hard not to brake and told myself that Whealie says, “You know when to accelerate, it is exactly the moment when you usually brake”. Turns out that works quite well :blob2:.
That being said, Croydon is equally unpleasant in either direction and I thought my hand might never straighten out of the cramp that had set in by the time I got home. Must get an adjustable clutch lever!
Anyway, back to the well crafted day bit. As a common place Friday treat I headed to the Barbican for an early movie and saw Michael Moore’s Capitalism: A Love Story. Foreclosures and evictions featured more than little, revisiting the earlier theme of the day. You can’t beat a good bit of polemic, emotive, bash the bad guy editing when you want to be wholly persuaded by a position you already hold :rolleyes:. He even made a point about the power (and pointlessness) of voting, but I won't go into that because Whealie is a moderator and will banish this to the back of beyond if I do :angel4:. It is not without precedent that people have clapped at the end of a movie I have seen, but never before have the audience launched into a full throated singalong with the end soundtrack (white, middle class, Grauniad readers, every one I’ll bet you). I imagine even the late and marvellous Michael Foot might have tapped his stick and allowed that the scruffy bloke in the skip cap was something more than a semi-house-trained polecat. I didn’t miss the irony of the beauty of riding my second bike though the environmentally suicidally lit City on the way home :rolleyes:.
Can’t wait for next week :hello1:.

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
If only my friday had been quite as poetic.........plenty of runny nose and sniffing though but obviosly being a man mine will be considerably worse than yours :rolleyes:

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
Gotta love Michael Moore....I just wish he'd let someone else do the presenting and editing......He obviously got kicked up the @rse too many times in his formative years.:blah5:

Is this the film where they find out that the then President (Roosevelt ?) wanted a second bill of rights guaranteeing more than just freedom.

What with him and then Eisenhower's speech about this mob around now I dunno how we ever got this far into the brown stuff......Didn't ignore 'em, did we ?http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y06NSBBRtY

Little bird in my Cab told me there were discussions going on about the Post Democratic Western World :hitler:

Cue the Malevolent Anoraks..........:happy2: (Good name for a group........)

Oh Yeah...The Square Mile is a bit bright at night, isn't it....:cool:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Great report. Loved it.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Now THAT was an impressive report:D:D:D

Seeing as I have just started imbibing my second cup of coffee;), I'll have to pop back later for another read.......................................................
to see how much I understand then:rolleyes:

You certainly had a great day:thumbright: - I've also been confined to the indoors with a bout of the rather serious............ man - flu:(:(:(

·
SOTGATT
3,522 Posts
THE CLUTCH;

Might as well say something helpful........amazing the difference a new cable can make.......try lube first (doesn't last though).

Let the chaps loose on it on Sean's maintenance day.

Don't let anyone who seems over-enthusiastic near it...................

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
I've also been confined to the indoors with a bout of the rather serious............ man - flu:(:(:(
Somebody must have brought to Wales and shared it amongst us.:(

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Lucky girl! How lovely to have the chance to go out and just ride, ride, ride - back and forth, no care in the world, no need for detail (who care's what the name of the road is, so long as it is lit up by the sun!)...and a chance to perfect not just cornering, but also a few Welsh U-Turns by the sounds! :p

Sounds perfect to me.....

:sunny:

·
Top Cat
1,636 Posts
Lovely report, Ros.

So we're blaming Wales on the bouts of illness are we? No man 'flu for me, but I've completely lost my voice. It's a croak of its former self.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Lovely report, Ros.

So we're blaming Wales on the bouts of illness are we? No man 'flu for me, but I've completely lost my voice. It's a croak of its former self.
Hmmm! Does seem like a high incidence of coughs and sneezes since the weekend. I started sneezing last night and a cold is threatening.. ....dosing up on the vitamins like crazy now to ward it off!! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Is this the film where they find out that the then President (Roosevelt ?) wanted a second bill of rights guaranteeing more than just freedom.
Yes. Apparently the footage was "lost" until Michael Moore started researching this film. Most of the State of the Nation address was broadcast by radio, because Roosevelt was unwell, but this section was televised. He died within a year of the speech and nothing happened to the economic bill of rights, which he argued was necessary as the first bill of rights had been inadequate to assure equality in the pursuit of happiness.

It promised:
A job with a living wage
Freedom from unfair competition and monpolies
A home
Medical care
Education
Recreation
An amazing vision, when you consider how much wrath is falling on President Obama's head in his pursuit of only one these objectives.:confused:
YouTube - FDR Second Bill of Rights Speech Footage

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank goodness man flu is only theorertically fatal - although I appreciate that you boys that threat very seriously :happy6:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
THE CLUTCH;

Might as well say something helpful........amazing the difference a new cable can make.......try lube first (doesn't last though).

Let the chaps loose on it on Sean's maintenance day.

Don't let anyone who seems over-enthusiastic near it...................
Thanks for that. Unfortunately I can't make it to this maintenance day. Riding to Wootten Bassett with Sean however, so will ask him to have a look then, and at my chain, and at the funny noise it's making and..:toothy7:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Thanks for that. Unfortunately I can't make it to this maintenance day. Riding to Wootten Bassett with Sean however, so will ask him to have a look then, and at my chain, and at the funny noise it's making and..:toothy7:
You have not worn it out by any chance have you?

·
one-legged member
4,493 Posts
Somebody must have brought to Wales and shared it amongst us.:(

Sorry guys and gals I fear it was me, I've had it for two weeks now and it just won't go away.

A cold doesn't usually last this long with me so it is obviously man flu :(

sorry,

Bob.

PS. great thread Ros.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Gee, thanks Bob;)............ - I think:(

I've managed to share it with my household as well:rolleyes:

C'mon summer:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts