Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon All,

After a years ownership and use I got half way up High Button yesterday and fried my clutch. When I got it back, cleaned and stripped there is a horrible burnt smell, blackened plates and destroyed friction linings ripped up, melted and fused with friction material bits loose in the clutch basket.

A mixture of lack of mechanical empathy, clutch hand slipping and 400cc of Honda torque I guess. Luckily not worse though I guess.

So, question to those of you with more than a years worth of XR400 experience, is there anything I should consider doing instead of a straight replacement of Honda OEM friction and steel plates?

Many thanks.

Stuart

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Check the length of your springs against a new one; any doubt, replace them. Not specific to XRs, just general. I'd also check any seals near the basket, it would have got pretty hot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the length of your springs against a new one; any doubt, replace them. Not specific to XRs, just general. I'd also check any seals near the basket, it would have got pretty hot.
Many thanks for the advice, I bought new springs and seal thinking the same....cheers for the reply.

Stuart

·
Registered
942 Posts
ive used ebc clutch plates in a few different bikes over the years , never had a problem with them

1 - 4 of 4 Posts