Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, failed the MOT yesterday :cry: due to uneven braking at the front. I can feel that the braking is uneven (as you apply slight pressure to come to a stop it feels like the disc is warped) but didn't really feel it was an issue. The MOT man did...

So...what to do?
I removed both discs and reseated them in case there was corrision on the rim mounting points (there was none).
Used a very fine wet and dry paper to remove any film that could be present both sides.
I removed both calipers and cleaned them up.
I then tested the bike with only one caliper and it appears to be the right handside that is the issue.

Someone told me that there is no way you can warp a disc on a bike...true?

If the above is true, what else could it be? Simply replacing them appears to be the only action left (quite expensive).

1 - Anyone got any ideas?
2 - Anyone got a flat/true righthand disc for an RD07 2003 model.

Thanks

·
Registered
516 Posts
The only way you will know for sure is to put a dial test indicator (dti) on the disc and spin the wheel and see what the run out is,i think any disc can warp car,bike or otherwise,my A/T had the same problem and a i bought what i thought was a good pair of used oem discs but i still have the problem although not as bad,mine got through the MOT ast time but i think i will have to do something for upcoming one.A binding caliper can warp a disc easily.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
If you havnt a dti you could take the disk off and place on glass use feeler gauges. On one of my Africa twins due to binding you can warp a disk. Good luck they are expensive to buy but looks like you will need to replace it. Did your brakes bind?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, general opinion here and from friends is to check the flatness with a home made dti assembly first...should be fun.
Also someone has offered to loan me a complete wheel assembly, that will also allow a check part parts.
Comments appreciated, I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
I've found just holding a steel straight edge to a hand spun wheel has been enough to show up a warp in the past.

Don't forget, ideally a new disk (min req' 3.5mm) needs new bolts (tightened to 40nm) and new pads...........I'm getting far too safety conscious in my old age !

·
Registered
7,704 Posts
It seems like you are over thinking something which it sounds you know the answer to...
It could possibly be wheel bearings or badly seated tyre bead but you would undoubtedly have other symptoms.

When I accidentally warped a rear disc during a cack handed tyre change, you could see the caliper wobbling as te pads followed te disc and gave the symptoms you describe.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update - carried out my crude dti test and using a steel rule and spinning the wheel, both discs appear out of shape, i.e warped. Only a small amount but it is clear...so at least I now know. Looks like a couple of new EBC's discs will be coming my way. Originals are £145 each, I'd like them but it is a bit too steep.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Anything but EBC....Unless something drastic changed at their factory, within months, I've had 2 pairs turn to rust, real big flakes of the stuff, contact area OK as the bike is a daily ride.

hint, i needed an mot... knowing of the warped disc, took it to mot station with the old spring brake test, not the rolling road

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
Get the Honda Discs,two weeks time and you'll have forgotten where the money went, but you'll always know your brakes are right !.............. I'm nearly always skint, but I rarely skimp on the right stuff ! :)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Get the Honda Discs,two weeks time and you'll have forgotten where the money went, but you'll always know your brakes are right !.............. I'm nearly always skint, but I rarely skimp on the right stuff ! :)
I just replaced the front light bulbs on my honda old ancient accord tourer ,they have been working good for years, I bought the replacements from honda in the nice little red plastic bags ,always feels nice using original parts and gives me a warm feeling in my belly.....

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Anything but EBC....Unless something drastic changed at their factory, within months, I've had 2 pairs turn to rust, real big flakes of the stuff, contact area OK as the bike is a daily ride.
I'd second this, had a similar experience with EBC discs. Poor feel and noisy, too. I put OEM back on and the difference was dramatic; the EBCs went in the scrap bin. Keep the calipers in good condition; sticky pistons cause drag and end in warped discs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts