Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've just found a problem with my front brake lever, I can't dial out the free play by using the adjuster on the lever and I'm not sure if the the problem is down to the master cylinder or not.

There is quite a bit of lever movement before the knocker hits the end of the M Cyl piston, I'd guess that normally I'd just adjust the wheel that would push the adjusting bolt closer to the end of the piston but I can only adjust it so far before it becomes impossible to overcome the force needed to make the adjusting wheel rise "up and over" the semi circular indentations (I hope this makes sense, I seem to have a mental block on how best to describe it) If I dismantle the lever and make the adjustment whilst it's in bits I cannot then insert the lever and knocker into the M CYL body because the two halves are being forced apart and wont fit into the body.

As a result of this my stop light is on permanently, I can make it go off by pushing the lever away from the bars but the lever moves back towards the bars and the light comes back on. all the parts in the lever assy are very free and greased up so it's not a sticking lever problem, I suspect that a M CYL service is on the cards as the boot that is visible at the end of the piston is ripped to bits so any amount of crap could have worked it's way into the bore and this could be the reason why the piston may not be extending far enough out of the M CYL body (if this is what is happening) having said all this it could be that the piston only comes out so far and there is some other problem that is staring me in the face.

My brakes feel fine BTW, at full squeeze the lever is quite a way from the bars and not like I'd imagine it would be if the M CYL piston was not returning to the rest position.

Anyone had a problem like this before? Anyone got any ideas?

I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it so that the piston position can be seen and hopefully compared with someone elses.

Thoughts gratefully received...

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
The problem will most likely be a rusted away return spring in the master cylinder.

Remove the bolt that holds the lever, then check the plunger and boot in the master cylinder to see why it's not popping out as far as it should.

It could also be down to dirt or corrosion, or if its been lubricated with something sticky like chain lube.

You can get master cylinder rebuild kits from Wemoto.

Bob

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The problem will most likely be a rusted away return spring in the master cylinder.

Remove the bolt that holds the lever, then check the plunger and boot in the master cylinder to see why it's not popping out as far as it should.

It could also be down to dirt or corrosion, or if its been lubricated with something sticky like chain lube.

You can get master cylinder rebuild kits from Wemoto.

Bob
Thanks for that Bob, I'll look into it later today, How far does your plunger stick out from the body?

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I'm pretty sure the plunger (piston) should come out far enough to push the lever all the way forward; there is no gap or free play.

Bob

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Seconded.

Unless your lever is a badly fitting aftermarket one, the problem will be the master cylinder piston failing to return due to the crap and corrosion having a ripped outer boot leads to. As BobA says, master cylinder rebuild kit time.

·
Señor Member
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice chaps, I've now ordered the rebuild kit and I'll crack on with that job next week.

Cheers

1 - 6 of 6 Posts