Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been meaning to mention this for ages.
As said the front brake light is staying on.
There seems to be a bit of slop in the lever, push the lever forwards and the light goes off.
I am guessing it is something simple, maybe the spring has got tired, anybody got any ideas.
Pop the lever off and lose the spring into the deepest corners of the garage seems the first option, i mean whip out the spring and give it a pull to stretch it slightly.
or is there a small spacer or widget missing?

·
Administrator
1,780 Posts
I think the only return spring is that in the master cylinder. It might be worth taking the brake lever out and cleaning/lubricating its pivot and the span adjuster bits .... to give the m/cyl return spring as easy a life as possible!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I have just popped the lever off, everything seems fine, the pivots are all free.
The end of the piston just does not seem to be coming out far enough to be activated by the pip on the lever.
Almost as though there is a spacer or spring missing.
I looked in the Haynes manual and as said the only return spring is inside the master cylinder. I did pop a spacer in to see what happens and it now works perfectly, but not happy as this is a bodge.
Off back to The Ratcave to see if I can free off the piston without stripping down the master cylinder.
if not I reckon what? order a rebuild kit.
Re edit.
Popped it apart again, good squirt of WD40, cycle the lever aggressively and the piston is back to normal, it was just binding in the master cylinder.
Thats sorted for now, next time I have a bit of spare time I will bleed and service the front brake properly, clean up pistons check seals etc.
Cheers Hotbulb.

·
Stone Crazy
5,315 Posts
on my Vigor the lever never seems to contact the switch whatever, I just have a cable tie around the lever to help it make contact

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The switch is fine, in perfect condition.
That was my first suspect.
Mervinh, try a squirt of WD40 and cycling the lever vigorously, sorted mine out.

·
Stone Crazy
5,315 Posts
yeah will do Chunki cheers

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
The switch is fine, in perfect condition.
That was my first suspect.
Mervinh, try a squirt of WD40 and cycling the lever vigorously, sorted mine out.
So you checked it with a meter? It could still be intermittent... and should your snag come back it would be my first and last suspect. :iconbiggrin:

·
Administrator
1,780 Posts
I'm pleased to see normal service has been resumed! When mine failed a few weeks ago it was definitely the switch that had failed, but the whole setup now feels much better for a good clean and lubricate. :)

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
Don't squirt WD up the master cylinder piston. It attacks the seals. I've had the same problem before and stripping and cleaning the master cylinder sorted it out.

If the outer bellows seal is a bit sloppy or has damage then the water and muck gets in and seizes everything up.

Sent from Tapatalk before Verticalscope screw it up

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I take it they do a rebuild kit for the master cylinder? I need to strip and rebuild my calipers with new seals and pads etc. I don't know when the last time they were done, but I want to sharpen them up a bit.

What are the best braided brake hoses to get and does someone do a kit for the AT?

·
Stone Crazy
5,315 Posts
Braided hoses are braided hoses basically , but check what you get for the money , I use Hel because they come with stainless fittings as standard , some companies charge extra, and when i looked into it Hel was the same price as Goodridge with zinced fittings, also Nick chambers tha rebuilds the @ calipers will do you lines to order , and the only difference i can see between his and HEL are his do not have HEL written on them, and if you need a custom length he will do it, basically tell him the length and what ends you need and he makes them , Brakes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts