Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks

Re: RD07A (1998 W Vin No) Front Brakes Upgrade!

Been quite a while since my last post and, I dare to raise this old chestnut again! BTW, I have searched the forum but, I'm hoping there may be more recent research and actual upgrades that someone may be kind enough to advise on.

Last summer I fully rebuilt front & rear callipers and although adequate, they're still quite wooden and not at all confidence inspiring fully laden coming down Pyreeness mountain passes. And, with a recurring injury I've limited strength to pull the beast to a dignified stop.

I was made aware of H.E. Motorradtechnik Conversions https://translate.googleusercontent...LkJrhjjjpukxy0CSbFVVKt-QG0yk6p7Aw#lieferliste so I've sent them an email to see what they can advise for the XRV and my DR800 which has even worse brakes!

So, I'd be most grateful if anyone can advise of a Twin or Single Front Brake Conversion. I'd guess this will involve Calipers, Adapers, Discs and Mastercylinder. Oh, I want to retain standard forks too.

However, I'd be very interested if someone has a complete front end (Forks, yokes, stem, wheel, brakes etc) WP, Sachs, Marzocchi etc gathering dust for a reasonable price!

Thanks in anticipation,

Dave

Cork City

·
Registered
694 Posts
Ive grafted the front end of a DRz on the front of mine. 48mm comp & rebound , brake wise 320 floating disc with a 4 pot "Braking" caliper christ it stops :D

Downside is with the folks level in the top of the yokes its 70mm taller so ive got a dog leg at the rear as well. Seat height is around 940mm :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that suggestion Packman.

I checked out Suzuki spec there so I presume you sourced the DRZ 'S' front end retaining 21" wheel. The standard caliper is smaller (270mm) so I guess you upgraded that single disc to 320mm? Can you advise on doner brake and yokes/stem please?

I think that may be easier to source and more affordable that the big brands and probably just as good too.

Cheers......

·
Registered
694 Posts
I had a Drz for 10 years from new , winter it was the green lane and Enduro bike in the summer i swoped over to Supermoto wheels and different suspension and it was my summer hoon machine ... needless to say i had spare everything after i sold it with 43k on the clock.

I mated the AT stem to the Drz yokes , i could not find a Drz 21" wheel for love or money but sourced a CCM 404 front wheel this is the same , i had a spare 320 mm disc and caliper left over ... you can use KTM 950 front springs and a internal spacer but TBH ive just used heaver fork oil and its been great ...

I think you can do all that for say 400 notes , if your lucky there might be a good used 320 disc come up there was the other week that went for 42 notes , owe yes i made up some SS front spacers as my caliper bolted straight to the leg with no bracket so hence the spacers to get the disc center in the caliper. It rides great you can tune the road bumps out with the comp & rebound settings and also on fire roads its great and light green lanes.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks again Packman - I appreciate the info. This will give a route to explore that I didn't consider and hopefully I can source something here in Ireland. I've a standard caliper ordered from local breaker as one of mine is banjaxed however, doner front ends don't often come up around here.

Regards

Dave...

·
Registered
694 Posts
You can use a spacer bracket on the stock Drz forks & caliper when using the 320mm disc thou i think with the weight of the AT @236kg you might need something a little more beefy. Ive always found the stock AT front brakes to be lets say weak at best and then you have the old Honda calipers turning to sand esp around the dust seals then they stick due to age. A more modern caliper is deffo the way to go. Before i did the swop i got hold of a mint pair of calipers from Spain they cost me 200 notes i used them for 3 years then sold then for 220 :D

If you want some pics or any more info just ask :thumbup:

Drz front end for sale ... change the oil to something a bit heavier and your sorted and i know it says uk buyers but u could sort your own courier out ...

292516359804 ebay number

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks again Packman, I appreciate that you've taken the time to assist. Photos will be good for reference.m I'll check that eBay sale this evening.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts