Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, the front brakes are squealing when used.should they have anti squeal shims in .or could it be something else making them make this noise .:happy6:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha.I just finished my bacon butty so does that count?
What's does depig mean?
To be fair its our lasses bike and not had a chance to look at it yet,so am just mulling it over in me head ?

·
Registered
843 Posts
The OEM Honda pads have backing shims - not all aftermarket ones have them. So check to see if you've got them fitted otherwise apply a smidgen of copper grease to see if that improves things.

When were the brakes last serviced i.e. pads, seals, piston, fluid etc.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
over hauling a calliper is easy enough even a master cylinder can be refurbished if the bike wont hold a break a kit can be bought . back to the calliper . corrosion behind the piston seals can push them out causing the break to seize up use a home made scraping tool ith a right angle on it made from a wash up liquid to clean out the seal grooves . the sliding bush can corrode too and seize the break . I have had this happen clean with sand paper and re grease I used copper slip works ok but i have heard red silicone or rubber grease as its also know as is good stuff for the job its also great for fitting fork seals . if the pistons only have light corrosion out at the end a rub with wet and dry sand paper bring them up good again . a good clean and grease up should sort you out . if you need new pistons don't buy economy pistons from wemote they are rubbish destroyed with rust after 2 years of year round riding . fine job I kept my old pistons a quick clean up and popped them back in and good to go again for another year or 2 . a well serviced break is a strong break . pads loose their vitality and stopping power over time some never had any to start with . ebc hh sintered pads give a good break without even a braided hose on a 25 year old Transalp 600 :thumbup:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi Tribor,

As stated above the first and easiest thing is to whip the pads out and give them a thin coat of copper grease on the back face. Only a small amount and steer well clear of friction surface and rubber seals. Only if this doesn't work would I worry about a strip down.

For info mine have just started squealing and this is exactly what I will do when I have a spare half hour. At this time of year any grease gets washed away leaving the pads dry and this can cause it.

Inspect the pads and change if required. I always use good quality pads and i never worry too much about costs given the safety criticality of the area.:D you don't want to be responsible for swmbo doing down the road;)

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your help guys.I was going to try the copper slip first.
First time I have used a forum and I'm sure it won't be the last ������

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi Trebor Smiffy,

Just looked up where Norton is; if Google maps tells the truth then we aren't too far apart, I am near Colchester and you appear to be just off the A14 / A143. Nice area.

Hope you get the squealing sorted.

We keep talking of a meet in this area so keep an eye out we may have a little South East gathering :thumbup:

Paul

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ha.sorry Paul but Google got it wrong as I'm nowere near Colchester.lol
My Norton is in east Yorkshire,near scarbourgh.
Swmbo went warickshiring a couple of months back on it:rolleyes:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi Trebor,

My mistake, bit far for a South East meet up then:toothy9:

Good luck with the brakes. I also have to look at mine because the squeal like yours (swmbo's). I hope to get some time at the weekend around decorating and hopefully my new crash bars will arrive so hope to get them fitted too.

This is the first bike I have splashed out quite a lot of dosh on.
Its got the essentials:
Scottoiler
Heated grips

Not so essential:
Top box
Fuel end can
High touring screen
Home made satnav mount + 12 volt socket
Home made larger side stand foot

Using old tank bag and throw over panniers and ready for next trip :thumbup:

Must be a keeper :D

Just started making plans for another trip to Germany but this time probably to the Harz mountains. Living near Harwich I can use the overnight ferry or the Channel Tunnel is less than 2 hours away for a longer but cheaper ride.

Cheers,

Paul

1 - 10 of 10 Posts