Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Sir,

I found out that the front brake light swicht is ok; tested for continiouscy. The back brakelight switch (at rightfoot) turns the brake light on, so light ok & wiring from connection to light ok.

But where are the front and back switch wires (green yellow) connected? I have a wiring diagram and see a joint... but where? I think from this point on to the front brake switch the wire is bad... If I find the connection how do I replace the wire?

Regards,

Martin

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Lutin,

It's a honda africa twin xrv650 from 1989.

Regards,

G
That connector is also is shared with the starter switch and stop switch.
I'm not sure either where it is located but when you do find it you can do further continuity checks from the connector to the light and from the connector to the switch to check for a possible damaged or broken wire.
If it is a broken wire it's normal practice just to do an isolated repair on the wire by soldering or using a quality butt splice rather than replace the wire.
I replaced my front brake switch just recently as it was intermittent. Close inspection revealed a crack in the plastic of the switch. Maybe take the switch right out and have a good look...and easy enough to check also with a multimeter when out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GSPD750,

I checked switch; this is ok.

I checked the wire from the connector to the brakelight overall with bypass wire; the greenyellow wire is broken.

But how do I search the broken spot to execute a isolated repair?

Do I remove the black tape on a arbitrary chosen spot & check continuity upstream and downstream? An continue onwards till located spot?

regards,

G

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
GSPD750,

I checked the wire from the connector to the brakelight overall with bypass wire; the greenyellow wire is broken.

Do I remove the black tape on a arbitrary chosen spot & check continuity upstream and downstream? An continue onwards till located spot?

regards,

G

To be honest with you, trying to find the break in the wire would be very, very time consuming. You would be better off just to replace the wire completely. You could tape the new wire along the outside of the existing wiring loom and could probably get a length of the correct colour wire from an auto electrician.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
GSPD750,

regards,

G
Yes..you can isolate the broken or damaged wire at these connections with your multimeter by doing continuity checks to sections of the wire. But in the end you may have to physically trace the wire either forward from the light or back from the connector. Look for sharp bends in the wire..tape from a previous repair etc...you may also have to start removing some panels, seat, fender and plastic to have better access.

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
To be honest with you, trying to find the break in the wire would be very, very time consuming. You would be better off just to replace the wire completely. You could tape the new wire along the outside of the existing wiring loom and could probably get a length of the correct colour wire from an auto electrician.
Hi Lutin... yes absolutely that would work too by running a new wire. However in my opinion and for that much (same) effort I would be compelled to repair it. But thats just me..I have to know where it broke. :D I'm betting it's broken in the fender area. :thumbright:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lutin & GSPD750,

I would also like to know where the break is, to know the mechanism thats causes the break, with the fender area you mean the one 2 fairing part between the tank and the headlight?

An the other hand, I go for practical; a new wire always works and give security. Dependable on the consumed time to locate the error, I remain.

regards, keep ya posted, need to work rest of week, so saterday feedback.

G

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Lutin & GSPD750,

I would also like to know where the break is, to know the mechanism thats causes the break, with the fender area you mean the one 2 fairing part between the tank and the headlight?

An the other hand, I go for practical; a new wire always works and give security. Dependable on the consumed time to locate the error, I remain.

regards, keep ya posted, need to work rest of week, so saterday feedback.

G
Which wire is broken? Is it downstream of the connector or upstream of the connector? In order to do that you have to split the connector and check for continuity (both sections of wire) with your multimeter. You mentioned you found the connector right? You have to isolate which section of wire first...then you have it narrowed down..right? I meant rear fender in the vicinity of the brakelite.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
GSPD750,

I located the connector at the rear fender; the downstream wire to the brake light is ok.

The broke wire runs upstream from the connector to an other connector which runs up to the front brakelight switch.

So I believe the broke wire runs under the tank to the front.

regards,

G

1 - 11 of 11 Posts