Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EDIT: These did turn out to be too good to be true. They are CBR600 callipers and do not fit any XRV models grasmere59 or myself could find. Don't buy them for ATs. :( Thanks for grasmere59 for excellent detective work.

Ok, I am likely going to regret this as they are likely to sell out before I get a chance to buy;But hey... it may help someone out, so no big deal.

So what does the great collective think of this? This ebay listing seems to show a brand new pair of Nissins that look a bit like AT callipers? Admittedly, mine [RD07 / '00] look a bit different than these, but I am sure I saw those on one version at least? Am I wrong.

The postage price to UK is a bit steep but the sale price seems pretty cheap. particularly so for a pair of what looks like brand new callipers with pads, pistons rubbers...

What d'ya all think?

[Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with the seller whatsoever, nor do I know anything more about this listing than you do if you've clicked on the link above]

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm pretty sure Transalp 700 calipers fit on an rd07a so they should fit,i wonder what the import duty would be though? I dare say you would have to pay VAT on them aswell?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair point. I think that it is too low value for customs, but VAT is an interesting one. if it was 20% on the purchase price, that is less than 10 quid. If it is on the postage too, then it is a bit more... I bought motorcycle parts from US via ebay in the past. It works much better through ebay "global shipping program" where the duty gets paid directly during shipping. "rubbersideup" I think was the seller, and I found them a good source for some bits and they participated in global shipping program.

Transalp calipers do fit on RD07a but the ones I saw fitted do not look like this. :)

Even more interestingly, the same seller has a 3-pot Nissin (off a CBR, I think) which could fit too, albeit the carrier probably won't.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just had a look through my ebay history and found a comparable one...

...in case it helps somebody...

·
Registered
516 Posts
The more i look at them the more they look wrong for the RD07a

·
Registered
516 Posts
Agreed!

My originals look like 45100-MY1-006

HOWEVER, the ebay link seems to look like 45100-MV1-008

Does it not? Is that for RD04?
If you look closely at 45100-MV1-008 they have 2 retaining pad pins whereas the ones being sold only have the single pin like the RD07a so they are a bit of an oddball to be honest.

Reactions: Abraxas

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Very good detective work! :) You are spot on. defo not RD04 callipers.

I was trawling this site and the only picture I found was this drawing.
Presumably, a Haynes manual. I have one but I am not sure where I've put it...

·
Registered
516 Posts
Basically i reckon there really only for a CBR600.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are probably right. Comparing it to my one, they would definitely not fit RD07a. one of the sliding pins is in the completely wrong place. And the mounting rail doesn't look right either.

Well... It was fun while it lasted... :) Thanks for the assist!

·
Registered
516 Posts
No prob,bit of misleading add by the seller.There was a German ebayer selling pairs of brand new Transalp calipers at about half price a couple of years ago,i bought a pair for a mate who had an RD07a that didn't do ebay,the only difference was that they were silver not gold.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I got a pair of silver ones too. Second hand, though. My gold ones were in totally shocking state. Silver Transalp ones fit just fine. They are identical (just gold). I also learned that there are two types of TA700 fronts. 2 and 3 pot. 2pot are the same type as AT, 3pot are the ABS version with linked braking piston. Weird...

Anyhow, I edited the post to save anyone buying...

·
Registered
516 Posts
My calipers on my 98' A/T are still good nick luckily.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts