Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 Transalp had new EBC pads and discs fitted all round, approx 1000m ago by previous owner's local dealer. Front has now developed noticeable pulsing through lever and RH disc has very slight run out, using Sharpee test... I thought that perhaps the EBCs were not up to it, hence acquiring a lightly used OEM set the other day off EBAY.
Or is this pulsing caused by something else?
The disc mounting bolts seem very tight and I am also worried about shearing them or rounding off the Allen heads (which the Muppet dealer has done when tightening the brake pad retaining pins; ...)
Any advice / experience gratefully received. Thanks Colin

·
Registered
770 Posts
Disk mounting bolts usually are loctited as a safety measure. Just apply some local heat and/or have a long extension bar on the ratchet with decent allen sockets. Make sure the mounting surfaces are clean and free of corrosion and tighten down alternating gradually from one side to another.

I always replace the OEM slotted brake pad cap pins with aftermarket SS allen headed alternatives with copper grease, same with the pad pin. Though with winter riding I had to heat the pin up onthe rear caliper to remove it when it seized where the end of the pin pokes into.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll investigate further. Just trying to avoid throwing good money after bad...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discs tend to warp due to overheating, so prolonged braking (like car drivers tend to do..) then sitting with the pad in contact with the disc, making a hot spot will cause the metal to warp if hot enough.
You may find that the slide pins, as suggested, are needing some attention. If you've noticed some binding recently (?), then this is will also manifest itself in the run out that you mention. Use the recommended grease type when servicing them.
EBC are a god brand, and should not be at fault, so look for the cause of the problem in caliper/master cylinder areas.
Report back.. always interesting to hear a good result!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your suggestions. Yesterday I did a 270 mile round trip on the bike and on steady 50mph restricted mway sections could hear the front pads rubbing on the discs. (?)
Not all the time so I think this points to sticky sliders. I am refurbing another set of calipers anyway so if I replace enough parts I ought to be able to cure this soon (!).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts