Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just bought an 08 XL700 TA and firstly I love it to pieces :)

But, Ive noticed two things that could potentially worrying, First of all is if i loosen my grip on the handlebars from 30mph upwards the handlebar wobbles violently, now people may say dont take your hands off the grips blah blah blah but im wondering if its a serious fault?

Secondly, whenever I go over a bump, ridge, speedbump etc the front end goes clank! Any ideas?

Any expierence and knoledge would be greatly appriecated

Cheers

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Head bearing and tyres would be my suggestion.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I was a bit sceptical about the front end wobble after reading of it on here but now I've done a few miles on the bike and a bit more confident I can confirm it is real - on my bike anyway!! I tried it at about 40, just by releasing my grip but keeping my fingers around the bars. The wobble starts slowly and gets worse to the point where I'm sure it would go on to a tank slapper. As soon as you grab the bars it stops so not too bad if you know about it.

On my first long trip a couple of weeks ago I finally realised what the strange clunking/clanking at the front end is. I'm not saying this is what is wrong with your bike, it may well be the head bearings as suggested but on mine I have traced it very simply to fuel slopping about in the tank! It is ok when full to the brim but after a few miles you start hearing slight noises and it gets worse at about 20-50 miles from filling up. Its fine when less than half full. I know it sounds daft but it took me ages to work out what it was as it doesn't sound like I would have thought it would. I hope this is what you are hearing on your bike!!

John

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Various things to consider, The headstock bearings obviously then the front wheel bearing and finally check the balance of the front wheel if you have had a new front tyre recently.

·
Registered
86 Posts
if it get worse by increasing your speed then it might be a bent wheel/tire/loose or not correctly adjusted spokes too.

good luck

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Don't know about the noise but there's a thread on here someware from when the 700 was new, they all seem to shake at the front end but if I remember correctly, it stopped on mine when I changed tyers from Bridgestone to Metzler.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
it's your bearings,,wheel or yoke...................nope just ya yoke ''steering bearings'' loose or knackerd:cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers guys, Much appriecated :) I think the wobble is just a common thing with the bike as im am using deathwings front and back.

As for the noise im going to get my bike services in a month or so, so ill bring it up with the honda mechanic

Cheers

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
did you purchase the bike from a honda dealer.. ??

If so , I would get yourself down there to check out that clank noise asap ..

If you bought privately, then I would either take to a mechanic or maybe someone here could meet you and have a look.
If its the bearings its a 5 minute job to diagnose ..

the wobble, as others have said , could be just the tyres needing replaced or balanced. Especially if the head bearings have gone , someone been doing some offroading and put the wheel out of balance , or something more serious .

IMO .. I would get checked asap ..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Cheers guys, Much appriecated :) I think the wobble is just a common thing with the bike as im am using deathwings front and back.

As for the noise im going to get my bike services in a month or so, so ill bring it up with the honda mechanic

Cheers
I have doubts about the "deathwing" story that many owners here mention. I bought my 700 Alp new last year and it has Trailwing tyres. I don't do dirt but as far as the road is concerned I have had no problem with them and there is no steering wobble either. They grip like a five hundred dollar hooker on the job. I don't have panniers or a top box on it. So I would doubt that your wobble is due to the tyres.

Admittedly I've not tried any other tyres on this bike because the originals are still okay, but I certainly have never had the feeling that there is anything unstable about them. The way many here portray it, a newcomer could be forgiven for believing they are going to fall off the first time they go round a bend because of something being wrong with these tyres. It can get into your head and you start imagining that the tyres are poor, just because a few have said so.

When the tyres need replacing, I expect I will go with another type with a more road biased tread, without the semi knobbly tread of the Trailwings. But that's only because I don't ride dirt and don't therefore need any tyre that is designed partially for that purpose.

I'd add that I'm pretty experienced with bikes, having owned a large number of different makes and models over a very long time.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have doubts about the "deathwing" story that many owners here mention. I bought my 700 Alp new last year and it has Trailwing tyres. I don't do dirt but as far as the road is concerned I have had no problem with them and there is no steering wobble either. I don't have panniers or a top box on it.

Admittedly I've not tried any other tyres on this bike because the originals are still okay, but I certainly have never had the feeling that there is anything unstable about them. The way many here portray it, a newcomer could be forgiven for believing they are going to fall off the first time they go round a bend because of something being wrong with these tyres. It can get into your head and you start imagining that the tyres are poor, just because a few have said so.

When the tyres need replacing, I expect I will go with another type with a more road biased tread, without the semi knobbly thread of the Trailwings. But that's only because I don't ride dirt and don't therefore need any tyre that is designed partially for that purpose.

I'd add that I'm pretty experienced with bikes, having owned a large number of different makes and models over a very long time.
I have to agree here as well about the so called "deathwings"......have now done 1200 miles on my new transalp and have really started chucking the bike around now and have found the tyres to work very well on the tarmac.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I get that unsettled feeling on my bike if the front tyre is at 29 PSI if I put it up to 30 PSI, the bike feels more stable.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Me again :)

Anyone know how to diagnose if the bearings have gone?

And I must admit, on the TA the tyres have not unnerved me once but I had them on my previous bike, a XL125 varadero and they scared me in the wet a few times and I am currently refusing to take my TA anywhere near a dirt track or any offroad surface as I like it in one piece :) I have a Beta ALP200 for trailing.

I am definately going to get some road biased tyres on it when the deathwings die. But I wouldnt go out saying dont get trailwings as they are fit for purpose and frankly I think the reason people dont like them is they try to ride them like a fully road tyre and they are not. I put my hands up to this on the Varadero mostly due to inexperience

Cheers

·
Bling Tastic Transalp
1,362 Posts
Me again :)

Anyone know how to diagnose if the bearings have gone?

And I must admit, on the TA the tyres have not unnerved me once but I had them on my previous bike, a XL125 varadero and they scared me in the wet a few times and I am currently refusing to take my TA anywhere near a dirt track or any offroad surface as I like it in one piece :) I have a Beta ALP200 for trailing.

I am definately going to get some road biased tyres on it when the deathwings die. But I wouldnt go out saying dont get trailwings as they are fit for purpose and frankly I think the reason people dont like them is they try to ride them like a fully road tyre and they are not. I put my hands up to this on the Varadero mostly due to inexperience

Cheers
check this thread out, someone highlights checking head bearing procedure (on the first page) of the thread.. ..

http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/transalp/39627-700-head-bearings.html

hope this helps.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts