Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says, I’m looking for some adobe on whether to spray or powder coat the front forks on my dommie project.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had a pair of forks on my old 650 that were in a pretty bad way, I removed the old lacquer polished them with a buffing wheel and then refinished them with a quality clear lacquer from a can, they ended up looking as good as new.
If your after an OEM finish for not a lot of money then this is an option you could consider.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Painting - you don't need to strip the internals - just mask off dust seal, stanchions and bolt thread holes (I've used blu-tac) - can be done on the bike > Here's how I did VTR forks almost a decade ago Painting Forks and Easter Eggs - VTR1000.ORG

Powder coat - everthing needs stripping out as forklegs would need baking in an oven to cure paint + thoroughly cleaning out any grit ingested from prep by blasting, before rebuilding.

Depends on the standard and depth of refurbishing you want to to accomplish.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok Thanks

Well so far ive had frame, swing arm etc powder coated, wheels powder coated and rebuilt. I currently got engine cases off and being sprayed, so i think forks will look out of place if i dont do anything with them.

So i'l probably strip and service them, and then get them painted.

If they are stripped would you recommend powder coat over spray paint?

·
Registered
707 Posts
"If they are stripped would you recommend powder coat over spray paint?"

Best ask the powder coaters what they recommend - though I'd be surprised if they'd do PC onto paint . Usual process is that it is blasted back to metal and PC is applied electrostatically before it's baked.

http://www.powdercoatguide.com/2014/12/prepping-for-powder-coating-step-by-step.html

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, that was a Typo

I meant to say ' If they are stripped would you recommend powder coat or spray paint?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi, I always use Tough Black on my forks its realy good stuff , gives a good durable coating, one can will do both forks, around 8/9 quid a can.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I've done both many times.

Powder coating is great It's the most durable. Until you get a chip. Then you can't do anything about that chip. Moisture gets under it and it will peel. You can flat it out and paint over it I guess but it's not easy.

I've also had them professionally painted with a 2pac lacquer. That looks the best. But again, once you get a chip then you're back to needing it done again. And all the bother of stripping your forks.

What I do now is shot blast the fork leg and paint it with good old fashioned Hammerite smooth. It looks 90% as good as 2pac and on par with powder.

It's durable too. Better than paint on brand new bikes if I'm honest. Engines I did with it are still in great shape years later. More you can say than a new BMW.

Best thing by far is that you can forever touch it up easily. Clean them down, a quick rub over with fine wet and dry paper and give them a few blasts with an aerosol or touch up with a modelling paintbrush. It's really user friendly to keep looking fresh.

The absolute key to any good finish is prep. It can not be overstated enough.

I shot blast all parts before I even think about painting. Having a clean, blasted base metal is the thing that paint dreams of.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi, thanks for the write up, will defo get parts bead blasted first, and then have a go with the Hammerite smooth, how do you apply it? Spray or brush?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I just done the front brake caliper on my XR400 with hammerite, sand blasted first then sprayed only thing i didnt like was my impatience three coats in a day then rebuilt it the next should have left it a week to let it cure still pleased with the end result and i'm shit at painting

IMG_9468 (2).JPG

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looking good Fred, I’m got my callipers still to do.
Did you strip them fully to blast and paint them??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts