Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
AS newbie to this site, I have been told that this is a potential fault with the Transalp....does this relate to a particular model? 600/650/700 as I would have thought Honda would have rectified it! or does it relate to poor maintenance/ not using OEM parts? or possibly over tightening the drive chain?please advise

·
Registered
305 Posts
from Andy...Hi...greyfazer....I agree the chain tension is very important on Transalps because of the long travel suspension, they need to run a bit looser than most. I had no trouble with mine for 2000 mile, and kept the chain slightly looser than the book spec because of the 17 stone sitting on it. MOT man see why when I sat on it at the test centre. One day it clunked and chunked and made a slight knocking from the front sprocket. SLIGHT WEAR ON SPLINE...AND LOTS ON FRONT SPROCKET INTERNAL SPLINE...Well worth checking yours is ok. I could fix mine with just a new sprocket ? but I am doing a modification on mine..Mines a 15 yearold 1999 model BUT with only 29.000 mile on it....but much later ones have come up on ebay as spares and repairs with completely buggered shafts. Do a google search for worn output shafts to see the problem with pictures and write ups. Some bikes manage massive miles with no problems and go all round the world....Front sprockets should be greased on the shaft and the problem was there from the start in 1987. The other part of the problem is the sprocket retaining washer idea that wears out....some people have had the cog come off and hit their left boot....breaking out from behind the plastic cover. Lovely, comfortable, economic, easy bikes to ride, and I love mine....and don't want to part with it...mines not worth a lot about £1800 according to MOT shop. Only had it a year. BUT if I bought a newer one that could still easily have a lot more than 29k on it and be a lot worse...I would be gutted. DO THE GOOGLE SEARCH....check your wifes.....Am not scare mongering....yours maybe perfect...and greased up with no washer wear either...just trying to help.....Andy.....My opinion is Honda have got this wrong for the last 27 years...and yes it is a maintenance problem.

·
Adventurer
587 Posts
It's the early TA600 with the black coloured engine and 6-spine output shaft. Honda changed to a mulispline shaft for the later silver engines.

Black engine shaft wear i beleive is a design / material issue.

Silver engines onwards i believe in the rarer issues this is due to over tight chain tension and use of ppatern sprockets.

Worth checking on any bike you buy but especially early transalps. In fact don't buy one without checking would be my advice!

Really great bike they are though!

·
Registered
305 Posts
Hi...All The latest year bike I have heard of with shaft wear is a 2006 with 24,000 mile and full service history on it... I found a post on one of the sites...so it's not unheard of on later machines either....I totally agree with East Coast, CHECK..and if someone says you can't..THEN WALK...one post says he's paid a lot of money for an Africa Twin only to remove the cover and found a welded on sprocket..ie terminal problem there ! in a few years time unless your very skilled and have the equipment to re-do the bodge.....lovely bikes agreed....Andy

·
Adventurer
587 Posts
+1 Andy :thumbleft:

Notice you're from Essex too Andy, there's a trail bike forum with some great guys mostly East Angling based .... www.adventuretrailrider.com you'd be most welcome to join :thumblef:

Hi...All The latest year bike I have heard of with shaft wear is a 2006 with 24,000 mile and full service history on it... I found a post on one of the sites...so it's not unheard of on later machines either....I totally agree with East Coast, CHECK..and if someone says you can't..THEN WALK...one post says he's paid a lot of money for an Africa Twin only to remove the cover and found a welded on sprocket..ie terminal problem there ! in a few years time unless your very skilled and have the equipment to re-do the bodge.....lovely bikes agreed....Andy

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
seems the issue has been with earlier models , but chain tension is paramount, ie don't over tighten which I was told by the previous owner and use original parts. FZS 1000 has similar issues with output shaft bearing due to over tightening the chain.....I have 38k on fazer
, still on original chain + sprockets and all fine but thanks for all input

·
Registered
687 Posts
Besides all that has been said, I have a hunch that using the gearbox properly and running the bike at slightly higher revs and avoiding knocking would relieve strain on the front sprocket.

Because the transalp is such a torquey little thing, there could be the temptation to just plonk it in 5th and drive along. sometimes you can just make life easier for the engine in 4th. Dont know how to explain myself better....sorry

R.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Benhur....I do know exactly what you mean...drop below 3.000 and it becomes a bit clunky. I try to stay above 3,500 at all times...lots of torque still at 2500 but no bhp it all disappears...and only two cylinders, so they don't like it..you can feel e'm firing...i'm putting a 49 tooth on the rear that will help mine be easier / smoother in slower traffic.....Andy

1 - 8 of 8 Posts