Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 XRV750
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I've been wanting to up the gearing on my AT (for lower highway revs), and have had a read through of this post (Hot tip on sprocket size for xrv750 rd07) on recommendation.

I like the gear ratio change, so would be keen for going with it. I am unsure about one comment though; and that is using a genuine OEM front sprocket. I'm aware that the ATs have a finicky output shaft, and I definitely don't want to cause damage there. Would Honda readily sell a 17t sprocket for the AT, or would I need to get an equivilent sprocket off a different bike if I went the OEM route?

Alternatively, do these seem like they should not maybe fit perfectly?
Front: PBR 2268-17
Rear: PBR 4350-43
Thanks

·
Registered
330 Posts
I recently switched to this gear ratio on my RD07a. I use the bike mainly for commuting these days on the highway. The new gear ratio made a significant difference for me. Less vibration with a calmer engine at speed.

The output splines problem is mainly because of an over-tightened final drive chain.

·
Registered
207 Posts
It is far more important that ther chain be sufficiently loose than that you for a genuine Honda front sprocket.
The shaft damage is caused by the flexing of the sprocket when the rear suspension compresses to the point that the chain becomes tight. The sprocket is the one part that can give a bit and in doing so it chews into the shaft.
I'll post some pics different shafts shortly.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts