Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ohla, long time no see, in other words my bike has been running smooothly up until now.

Therese been a clicking noice for some time now when I've been driving and it's now become apparent to me that it was the front sprocket that needed changing. got the equipment but there is no way in heel I can get the front sprocket to come off, been working at it for hours now, read through all I can find in the heynes manual but it seems it's stick(??) what the hell can I do? Unfortunatley I dont have a camera here so I can't take a picture of what it looks like but is there anything else keeping it in place than those two bolts? Unscrewed the protection thing behind it as well but it made little difference..

Thanks in advance..

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
You took off both bolts and the retaining ring they bolt through?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Two bolts, then you rotate the little plate that the two bolts held in place, slide that off, and the front sprocket should come straight off. If it doesn't then it's time to get out the penetrating oil and let it sit for a while then try again. If you haven't removed this little plate then you won't be getting the sprocket off!

edit: beaten! ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ohh I thought there was something a lil bit strange about that plate.. I struggled with it for ages rotating it and so on but it's stuck on there like nothing else..

I've soaked the thing in WD40 but doesnt make a diff.. Any hints on hos to get it off?

Also I'd like to add that the plate is loose.. I've spinned it a million times in each direction but doesnt make a diff either..

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
turn it so the splines line up and it should come off. If it is corroded or bent try a little gentle force behind it in a radial even fashion and it should come. It sits in a groove so will turn,if it does turn easily it should be ok, just try to line up the splines.

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
This is what it looks like when it's off, you can see the teeth that need to line up and slide along in the splines to get it off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
wow! I actually managed to get the plate off by doing as you said, took crazy amount of jiggling/force to get it off though.. But the sprocket still ain't coming off.. can't nudge it a millimeter..

now what ? hehe

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Give it a spray with some penetrating oil and leave for a little while,sometimes if you push it in towards the engine and sparay and then pull away from the engine it gives the oil a better chance to get in. Don't be afraid to push it in as far as it will go, if it will move, it won't do any harm. You can clean up the splines with a brass brush or soft wire brush and pull the sprocket off easier.
Don't be tempted to lever it off too hard as you may damage the crankcase, be patient and plenty of spray and it will come.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The sprocket is on so hard it doesn't even look as if it's a sepparate item.. I've used up half a can of wd40 on it now, doesnt budge.. I'll keep on trying tomorrow I guess.. =/ thanks for your help..

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,031 Posts
It hasn't been welded has it?

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
we need some pics for a definitive answer

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
It could have seized on the shaft just get a bigger hammer and tap it towards the engine to brake the seal, it should then be free enough to pull off.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

I just can't seem to get anywhere with this.. it's stuck on like crazy.. Maybe I'm missing a bolt that should me loosened or something.. I tried to hammer it lightly though but I thought I'd post these on here before I go and wreck something hehe. Hopefully them pics will show you something that I am missing.

Sorry it's so dirty, did loads of off roading last season before I put it away and didn't get to cleaning it yet.. will be done as soon as the new chain is on..

Hey Phil!!! Good to hear from ya, I'll drop you a line through e-mail instead of spamming the forums :)

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
You haven't missed any bolts. Sometimes they will rust onto a shaft.

I'd be careful about hitting it with a hammer as the gearbox bearings are not intended to withstand sideways impacts and if you kill one then it's engine rebuild time. Get hold of a cheap puller and the sprocket will just slide off as you tighten the tool and make it look really easy. Most importantly, you won't ruin any bearings or side-load the gearbox bearings in the process.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cool, these pullers you talk about, what do they look like? I'm not very up to date with tools in the english vocab I'm afraid.. Please post a few pics so I know what I'm looking for.. cheers!

btw now when I'm looking at the pictures it doesn't seem like it iwll be possible for the thing to go over the front bolt.. There is no space between the teeth is there ? This situation is so puzzling!

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
Ok from what I can see in the pictures it's just heavily corroded on. You have a couple of options, As it's not a genuine honda sprocket it has no rubber so you may be able to apply some gentle heat if you do not have a puller.
If you have a small diy gas torch the sort for stripping paint etc with a small nozzle gently apply some heat all round the sprocket,try to avoid applying any heat directly to the shaft in the centre as it will defeat the object of what your trying to do. AND REMOVE ANY WIRING BEFORE YOU START,THE OIL PRESSURE WIRE ETC.
What you are hoping to achieve is to heat the sprocket significantly more then the shaft and it will expand,this hopefully will allow you to either tap it inwards slightly with a wooden/nylon mallett GENTLY! if it does not appear to be moving do not hit it harder and harder as like alan says the bearing will not like it. If it will not move, re-apply the heat, sometimes it's an idea to have a bottle of ice cold water handy to pour behind the sprocket slowly and carefully so it runs onto the shaft and not the sprocket and it will help take away some of the heat and help it contract while the sprocket expands.(also will put out any flames if the wd40 goes up)
Try levering with a small but sturdy piece of wood or plastic to lever the sprocket off DO NOT USE ANYTHING METAL,it will damage the crankcase and you will have a hole in the engine and therefore a bill for a new one.
Try this or go for the puller option,go for the right size puller though as too big will just bend the teeth of the sprocket and you'll be in the same boat just with bent teeth.
Finally if it comes off, fit a honda front sprocket with some copper slip on the splines after you have cleaned them up with a go wire brushing.

Good luck.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts