Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Somebody put me out of my misery. I am 'simply' trying to replace the front sprocket cover, but this is proving somewhat tiresome. The problem is a big metal thing that goes underneath it, in some mysterious way that has so far eluded me. The Haynes manual says 'on XL650V and XRV750 models fit the guide plate', which is what I am assuming this is, but rather unhelpfully it shows no pictures, nor gives any clues about what the 'plate' supposed to be 'guiding'.

Fitting this thing in the obvious of two possible ways, it looks like it sits in the centre of the chain course, mere millimetres away from the chain, for the forward half of the sprocket . Is this right? Rotating the wheel by hand, the chain rollers actually touch it, although when the chain is under full operating tension this may not happen.

Am I doing this right? I should have paid more attention when I took it off, but I think I had hack-sawed the chain off by then :(

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
The guideplate is integral to the cover and is fixed...I believe.
I know it can be fiddley but keep trying different combos and hold your tongue the right way and it should go in. Make sure their are no obstructions such as bent clips or fasteners still in the 2 holes that secure it. :lol:

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
It also doesn't hurt to replace the plate every now and then, it wears down progressively due to free play and the "teeth" that lock in the sprocket get thin and pointy, making the whole connection rather "flighty". I was surprised when I bought a new one, it almost looked like a different part that was on there before :D

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Ooo I hate that thingy. You either get in on first time or it takes for bloody ever! You've got to hold it at the exact angle and maintain that angle as you push it in otherwise it won't go. But the best is yet to come - wait till you get to fitting the sprocket cover... :twisted:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GSPD750 said:
Holy crap, I wish mine was that clean! Unfortunately that pic doesn't show the part in question, so for 'clarity', here's mine with it fitted (but without the sprocket cover). I'm almost sure this is the correct orientation, but the chain can definitely touch it at the bottom.

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,026 Posts
neither of mine did either and one of those I had from new.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
markh said:
Holy cr*p, I wish mine was that clean! Unfortunately that pic doesn't show the part in question, so for 'clarity', here's mine with it fitted (but without the sprocket cover). I'm almost sure this is the correct orientation, but the chain can definitely touch it at the bottom.
Ok, I just checked the illustrated parts and the plate and cover come separately. I did not know that as I thought it was one complete part. Whenever mine comes off, the plate is always secured to the cover and goes back on the same...one piece. Try pressing it into the cover and then install it.
Sure something is not bent because it should not rub the chain?

As for the clean sprocket...well it was just out of overhaul (split cases)
and a pressure washer did all the dirty work.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GSPD750 said:
Whenever mine comes off, the plate is always secured to the cover and goes back on the same...one piece.
Yes, that's how it came off mine too (though I couldn't be sure if they were just stuck together with crud). In the orientation shown, the two collars will extend through the plastic part so you're screwing metal against metal when you do it up. I'm now convinced this is how it's supposed to go. I notice the bottom of your chain is taughter than mine, which would make a difference. I don't suppose even I could have routed the chain incorrectly, but I will check!

·
Registered
890 Posts
chain guide

May not be of help mate but mine 'fell out' whilst cleaning and I literally wriggled it whilst reinstalling and it stays put everytime . It may be there to help keep the plastic cover rigid. Perhaps Silver's know if it comes as part of the cover or as a separate item.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
By the way, this went on okay in the end. As others have said, it fits snugly into the plastic cover and then the two go on as a unit. My problem is probably due to the chain being new and very slack and so it's not gripping the sprocket as tightly as it will be in real life. Solved by jiggling the back wheel a bit as I pushed the cover on.

·
Registered
72 Posts
What is it!!??

Reading the links, I dont think anyone has identified what it is, and yes, you should have one! It is there to protect the engine casing incase the chain brakes. As the end of the chain passes the front sprocket, it will "flail" and would possibly damage the engine casing. This piece "guides" it out safely. That is assuming the chain doesnt jam the rear sprocket first and dump you and your bike down the road!!!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Re: What is it!!??

Adam said:
It is there to protect the engine casing incase the chain brakes.
Ah yes, that makes sense! To those who don't think they have one, it would be easy to miss 'cos it usually stays mated to the sprocket cover and is covered in crud!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Holy crap, I wish mine was that clean! Unfortunately that pic doesn't show the part in question, so for 'clarity', here's mine with it fitted (but without the sprocket cover). I'm almost sure this is the correct orientation, but the chain can definitely touch it at the bottom.

Resurrecting a very old post....

Does anyone have a photo of the metal plate that becomes part of the sprocket cover?
I have one, but it is twisted and I'm needing to re-fabricate it. A photo would help me get the shape right. (I'm assuming it follows the inner line of the cover)
It was obviously bent during a chain episode as the case shows some trauma...

Thx

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
Your in luck took mine off tonight for a bit of maintenance excuse the mess i havnt had a chance to clean it up yet

·
Registered
216 Posts
Perfect!
Looks like I had better get the anvil and hammer out!
Cheers
OK - working on the bike again and still baffled. The photos appear to be a 750 and mine’s a bit different, being an RD03. I’ve managed to get it somewhat straight but cannot figure it out. Fiche shows a 6X22 bolt bit there’s no way that seems right.
Any photos would be great!

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
OK - working on the bike again and still baffled. The photos appear to be a 750 and mine’s a bit different, being an RD03. I’ve managed to get it somewhat straight but cannot figure it out. Fiche shows a 6X22 bolt bit there’s no way that seems right.
Any photos would be great!
Can you explain a little more about what your trying to work out maybe some photos of what your dealing with will help

·
Registered
216 Posts
Can you explain a little more about what your trying to work out maybe some photos of what your dealing with will help

Mine was bent beyond recognition and after straightening as best I could I cannot make it fit.
It's been too many years since I dismantled and for the life of me cannot remember the orientation.
Also the fiche calls for a bolt that seems to short - at least when I try to fit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts