Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have just got a "genuine Honda" front sprocket for the TA.
I thought there was some rubber shock absorbing somewhere. This one is all metal. Some threads talk about using the genuine honda one for this reason.
Before I go and take my original one off, get covered in oil, and have a look, what should it be like ?
Rick

·
2,701 Posts
There is normally a layer of hard rubber on either side of the sprocket that comes up to the bottom of the teeth. It quieten's the chain run. (at least on the AT oem sprocket).
Normally come sealed in a bag with honda label and part number on it. . . . Otherwise you may have been sold a pattern one.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
Both the original one I removed and the 16 tooth one I replaced it with had rubber between the splines and teeth.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Rick, dare we ask from whence came your genuine? Honda replacement front sprocket? The one I fitted last year from D.Silver, consisted of a splined steel centre and a toothed outer ring, bonded together by rubber, and is a nice bit of kit.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rick, dare we ask from whence came your genuine? Honda replacement front sprocket? The one I fitted last year from D.Silver, consisted of a splined steel centre and a toothed outer ring, bonded together by rubber, and is a nice bit of kit.
Got mine from a honda dealer in Inverness, its all metal.
I shall phone them up tommorrow.

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
That sir is a JT sprocket, One of the better ones but certainly not original Honda equipment :confused:

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
The one I fitted last year from D.Silver, consisted of a splined steel centre and a toothed outer ring, bonded together by rubber, and is a nice bit of kit.
If you hack the rubber off you'll find it is a solid sprocket underneath. It may look like some sort of cush drive but it isn't.

RickSkye - as for the JT sprocket, they are a good quality pattern item so as long as you haven't been charged Honda price for it I would just use it.

·
Last of the Minoans
1,503 Posts
If you hack the rubber off you'll find it is a solid sprocket underneath. It may look like some sort of cush drive but it isn't.

RickSkye - as for the JT sprocket, they are a good quality pattern item so as long as you haven't been charged Honda price for it I would just use it.
I totally agree - I've hardly ever used genuine Honda sprockets on any of my TAs or current AT, with absolutely no problems. The JTs fit well on the splines (very important) and wear fine. If they've charged Honda prices, I would definitely complain, but otherwise you probably wouldn't notice the difference (without wanting to get involved in that old debate ;)). The rubber is just a damper and probably contributes nothing to reducing spline wear. Fit is more important (ooh-er). Where is your nearest Honda dealer? If it's far out, the journey probably isn't worth it...

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
That's definitely a JT sprocket, the number on it is the part number. They are generally half the price of honda ones, I have used them and not had any problems but I have seen tired splines made worse by them. The rubber on the honda one is just there to quieten down the engagement of tooth to chain and it acts only slightly as a cush drive because the chain sits ON the rubber and is pulled IN against it and the sprocket as the torque forces apply when accelerating.
I would question the dealer if he has sold you this as a genuine part as it's mis-selling, he makes a few quid extra out of you and you have no recourse against honda if it were to prematurely wear out or caused any damage to the bike.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It cost about 20 quid. Is that cheap of expensive for what it is.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
My Genuine Front Sprocket cost £29

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
My honda one was 23 quid and that had to come from japan. The last JT one I bought was about 13 quid

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
A certain dealer in Inverness (there's only one left now) who's not a Honda dealer just a bike dealer, they get their new Honda's from Ecosse in Aberdeen (used to get them from Perth).
Well, here's a story regarding them, I purchased an @T from them many yrs ago, 1 yr old, black, low miles, 1999. I bought it on the grounds that it would be better to buy a quality used UK bike than a parallel import. When I stopped for petrol I reset the trip, that's when I noticed the trip was in kilometers! "No witness unfortunately" was the response! I demanded they replace the headlights as the bike would not MOT with the headlights in it so they posted me a set of 2nd hand ones and demanded I return the old ones, which I believe they had taken from my previous trade in, a certain green @T? (Still in the area).
The majority of folk from the Inverness area are willing to travel a little further to Elgin the the legendary Wullie Young motorcycles, who swears and curses so much he's downright embarrassing, but damn he's a good bike dealer (also gets his new Hondas from Ecosse in Aberdeen, says he'll give you a better deal than Charlie :thumbup:).
Sorry Rick, I believe it's a pattern and also believe your Highland friends have ripped you off.
Plus side to it all though, it's a decent pattern sprocket, I've never fitted OE sprockets as patterns are cheaper and in all honesty I've never noticed any difference running them. £95 for an OE chainset from DS is a good price though.:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts