Honda XRV Forum banner

front sprocket

Tags
sprocket
8K views 30 replies 14 participants last post by  Cabby 
#1 ·
Hi
I have just got a "genuine Honda" front sprocket for the TA.
I thought there was some rubber shock absorbing somewhere. This one is all metal. Some threads talk about using the genuine honda one for this reason.
Before I go and take my original one off, get covered in oil, and have a look, what should it be like ?
Rick

#3 ·
There is normally a layer of hard rubber on either side of the sprocket that comes up to the bottom of the teeth. It quieten's the chain run. (at least on the AT oem sprocket).
Normally come sealed in a bag with honda label and part number on it. . . . Otherwise you may have been sold a pattern one.

#13 ·
That's definitely a JT sprocket, the number on it is the part number. They are generally half the price of honda ones, I have used them and not had any problems but I have seen tired splines made worse by them. The rubber on the honda one is just there to quieten down the engagement of tooth to chain and it acts only slightly as a cush drive because the chain sits ON the rubber and is pulled IN against it and the sprocket as the torque forces apply when accelerating.
I would question the dealer if he has sold you this as a genuine part as it's mis-selling, he makes a few quid extra out of you and you have no recourse against honda if it were to prematurely wear out or caused any damage to the bike.

#17 ·
My honda one was 23 quid and that had to come from japan. The last JT one I bought was about 13 quid

#19 ·
A certain dealer in Inverness (there's only one left now) who's not a Honda dealer just a bike dealer, they get their new Honda's from Ecosse in Aberdeen (used to get them from Perth).
Well, here's a story regarding them, I purchased an @T from them many yrs ago, 1 yr old, black, low miles, 1999. I bought it on the grounds that it would be better to buy a quality used UK bike than a parallel import. When I stopped for petrol I reset the trip, that's when I noticed the trip was in kilometers! "No witness unfortunately" was the response! I demanded they replace the headlights as the bike would not MOT with the headlights in it so they posted me a set of 2nd hand ones and demanded I return the old ones, which I believe they had taken from my previous trade in, a certain green @T? (Still in the area).
The majority of folk from the Inverness area are willing to travel a little further to Elgin the the legendary Wullie Young motorcycles, who swears and curses so much he's downright embarrassing, but damn he's a good bike dealer (also gets his new Hondas from Ecosse in Aberdeen, says he'll give you a better deal than Charlie :thumbup:).
Sorry Rick, I believe it's a pattern and also believe your Highland friends have ripped you off.
Plus side to it all though, it's a decent pattern sprocket, I've never fitted OE sprockets as patterns are cheaper and in all honesty I've never noticed any difference running them. £95 for an OE chainset from DS is a good price though.:thumbup:

#22 ·
The majority of folk from the Inverness area are willing to travel a little further to Elgin the the legendary Wullie Young motorcycles, who swears and curses so much he's downright embarrassing, but damn he's a good bike dealer (also gets his new Hondas from Ecosse in Aberdeen, says he'll give you a better deal than Charlie :thumbup:).
Sorry Rick, I believe it's a pattern and also believe your Highland friends have ripped you off.
.:thumbup:
They are not my friends and have cocked several things I have bought from them. No more. In fact one of the few things they did right was the new ta I got from them, which they got from Ecosse in Aberdeen, which was the cheapest I could find nationwide. Apart from that, its been a tale of woe.
Can't find Wullie Young motorcycles on the net. Have you got the webpage? Failing that, phone and post code?

G
#21 ·
I bought a replacement pattern chain and sprockets from David Silvers for my Honda 400/4. The gearbox sprocket wobbled on the splines so I returned it and bought a genuine Honda front sprocket. This too wobbled but I fitted it all the same. At the Motorcycle Show (2006) I asked a Honda mechanic why they wobbled. His reply was 'simple, to allow the front sprocket to always be in line with the rear sprocket'. Simple when you think about it. The lock washer locates in a recess so the sprocket wont come off.

#23 · (Edited)
#25 ·
Damn you Rickskye! Just had a look through Wullie's site and there's a nice Dommie in there! I WANT RID of that damned Kawasaki I have and that might just be the way forward!
I wouldn't mind a Transalp but I can't find one up in this area but I've had a Dommie before and it was quite fun! We'll see what Wullie says! :thumbup:

#26 ·
Quite some stock they have there, I'll have to come up for a look around some time (preferably when the snow's away, eh?). The Dominator looks good - slightly cheaper than the XT600E which would also appeal to me...

Not very impressed by what I've seen of the dealers this end so far.

#27 ·
The Domi in Wullies is, to use his usual discription, "Minted".
I had a look at it on Saturday, when getting one of them "rare & hard to find in Moray" :rolleyes: Transalps MOT'd. The Domi is very clean & tidy (been tidied up a little) and doesn't look like it's seen rain or mud since it was registered in '98.
The XT600 is a bit shabbier than the Domi, but still looks like a tidy bike. Wullie can always be brought down a couple of hundred quid on the posted price without to much trouble.

Stig, you could always combine a visit with a little run with the mottly Moray crew!

Steve T

:cool:

#28 ·
Sounds good - I might well take you up on that at some point! It's a great area. Anyway, I have to come back up to Cromarty before long to deal with some National Museums Scotland business...

#29 ·
Thanks for that Steve T, I've been in Turriff today and Aberlour all day tomorrow so can't get in to see him until Friday:rolleyes:, But I'll pop in and have a look, I did look at the XT 600, clean bike but more weather protection with the Dommie, Steve, was that the same Dommie Wullie had in last yr? It was sitting in the workshop for a while? I'll ask him about it when in.
Aye, Lord Stig, feel free to join us for a run, Steve T knows some of the most stunning roads! :thumbup:

#30 ·
Steve, was that the same Dommie Wullie had in last yr? It was sitting in the workshop for a while?
Sorry Jim, don't know whether he's had it in before or not. But it is a local reg machine, so it's a possibility.
Steve T knows some of the most stunning roads! :thumbup:
And of course Jim, you don't know of any :rolleyes: :thumbup:

Cromarty's a good starting point - Struie-Harrods of the North-Ullapool-RTB maybe :rolleyes:

Steve T

:cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.