Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Seignior Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK peeps,looks like I joined the Whealie club yesterday;
Was travelling to work ,outside lane at 80mph thinking 'Jees it must be windy cause the front is startin to wobble a bit'. It took about 3 seconds to realise that it wasn't the wind but the front tyre had gone from a nice round shape to a horrible lumpy shape. So,on with the back brake to get rid of some of the speed.The bike is heading towards the nearside lane on autopilot and thankfully got out of the way of traffic before the inevitable meeting with tarmac and as mirrored I'm sure by Whealie ' THANK F*@K I WAS WEARING MY GEAR!!!!
The crash bars on the off side are now almost half the origional thickness thanks to magical abrasive power of tarmac, the fairing now looks all hard and parts of my pannier rack are buried somewhere on the Warrenpiont dual-carriageway. I managed to recussitate 'Bike' bringing it back to life and after a new tyre and tube and some spanner work, I took it out last night for a run and thankfully it will be ok.
The moral??
WEAR YOUR GEAR.
FIT CRASH BARS
DONT TAKE SWEETS FROM STRANGERS AND,
CHECK THE VALVES IN YOUR TYRES -upon closer inspection last night my tyre had not punctured but the valve had failed. I was mystified to pump up the tube only to find it stayed up and it was the action of putting the pump on which had sealed the valve again ( I presume).
Pics will follow when I get back to the work PC.

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
glad you are ok mate!

·
Seignior Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would go along with that. Consider them just like insurance - you hope that you will not need it, but when you do, you'll be very glad.
View attachment 1960

View attachment 1961

I suspect these pics would have been CONSIDERABLY more gruesome had it not been for a HUGE amount of luck, the bars which took the weight of the bike and the gear which kept my skin intact.

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
Glad you bounced, as my wife and I did. It is pretty scary how fast it all happens yet how in slow-motion it all feels.
I thought my crash bars had taken a fair scraping but yours really are half-way worn. A new pair might be a good shout - in fact why don't we organise the one crash bar club - owners who have had to replace on side because of an off so still have a perfectly acceptable, unused crash bar in the garage?

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
It is annoying when you mash your gear up. But then again, skin is much harder to repalce than some bike gear.

This was amply demonstrated back in 2004 when my previous bike was written off by a guy in a large silver Passat. Apparently, he didn't see me - 10:30 in the morning, nice bright clear day in May, head light on (as if you have a choice with the later TAs), facing towards me. Nope didn't see me - let me get right up to him then he cut across in front of me. You can guess the rest.

Anyway, I digress.

Was wearing Hein Gericke gear - which was destroyed. But, I suffered abrasions and no broken bones. Had months of physio to assist recovery - but it worked and I have no problems after this accident.

So, wear your gear ALWAYS!

It makes me cringe to see people riding their bikes with no gloves, never mind in a T shirt, shorts and flip-flops.

Here endeth the lesson. :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Seignior Member
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad you bounced, as my wife and I did. It is pretty scary how fast it all happens yet how in slow-motion it all feels.
I thought my crash bars had taken a fair scraping but yours really are half-way worn. A new pair might be a good shout - in fact why don't we organise the one crash bar club - owners who have had to replace on side because of an off so still have a perfectly acceptable, unused crash bar in the garage?
Thank god we're here to laugh about it and oh jees yes, does'nt time slow down!! New (bigger and better) crash bars are being planned as we speak and the pipe bender and welder are coming out this weekend.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
Wow! Glad you're ok mate and the bike will fix. As you say a great advert for crash bars and good kit!

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Pleased to hear your'e through the worst of the experience Wee Bro. With yourself, Wheelie & Kate as well as poor old Marcin Gda in Spain, the XRV'ers have taken a hit this past few days. I do love though, the way everyone gets straight back to getting the bike fixed before all else ! :)

·
Sir FallofaLott
5,060 Posts
Jeez that made my blood run cold :shock:

Glad you're ok :thumbright:

Stuff like that at motorway speeds with others around you doing in excess of 80mph and not expecting a bike to suddenly go down .... jeez ... shudder shudder shudder ....

·
DILLIGAF
1,685 Posts
Holy feck :shock:

That picture of the crash bar (well, the bit thats left of it) is pretty scarey. Glad you had the gear on and good luck getting the bike sorted :thumbright:

·
whys the rum always gone?
17,680 Posts
bloody hell dude im glad your ok and the bikes come through it fine as well:thumbleft:

between you and whealie your a fine advert for crashbars mebbie SW motech could sponsor you guys:D

·
xrv750x Pilot
585 Posts
Good to hear you are o k Wee Bro and the CrashBars did their Job.Bet your glad you are not a Tee Shirt and Shorts Rider due to the good weather .Fw750x

1 - 20 of 34 Posts