Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike is a 1993 rd07, and my doubt is if there is any difference between the Right Rotor and Left rotor, besides the "R" and the "L" mark in each rotor/disc brake?

Looking at them (visual inspection) they look exactly the same with the exeption of an L and R marking on the side.

Why am i asking this? Well, my left rotor is damaged and needs changing, found o decent rotor (reasonably priced also) only problem is it's marked "R" and not "L".

·
Registered
472 Posts
On some discs including the OEM discs I believe, the drilling makes them sided, that is the drills holes start on the outside and taper in or start on the inside and taper out when the side is swapped. I don't know how much effect this will have on braking. Some discs have a recess for the disc bolt which I guess is the thing that makes them sided as you cannot rotate them 180 degrees and still mount them.

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
On some discs including the OEM discs I believe, the drilling makes them sided, that is the drills holes start on the outside and taper in or start on the inside and taper out when the side is swapped. I don't know how much effect this will have on braking. Some discs have a recess for the disc bolt which I guess is the thing that makes them sided as you cannot rotate them 180 degrees and still mount them.
I cannot see that would make any difference , because the outside would still be outside whichever side the disc is on , if the centre of the disc is dished it has to go with the dish going inwards , the taper idea would not make anydifference, and if it was flat you just turn it the correct way

according to the EBC catalogue they are the same both sides

EBC Bikes Shop | EBC Brakes | EBC Brake Shop | EBC Motorcycle Brakes

·
Registered
472 Posts
The outside is still the outside but they rotate the other way if you swop sides. So for example the outside drillings first make contact with pad on one side but if you swop sides the inside drillings make contact first.

As stated this may make !little difference to braking, but it does make them sided.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Those ebc discs have drillings that will be the same rotated in either direction. Look at your OEM discs you should be able to see what makes them sided.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'll have to pay attention to that. I've sent an email asking if they have the Left side rotor, waiting for a reply.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts