Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetz
I have read here a while ago about wheels from other models that fit a transalp. Thanks Titch for the info on the dominator wheels. Did I get it right that the front disc wont fit though?
The main question is, will the Africa twin front wheel fit the TA? I have heard od one (in Germany) thats looking for a home.
If anybody has any other ideas, PLEASE tell!
Thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
Hi there again mate,

Re the disk from the Dommie front wheel... no it wont fit the TA, however the Africa twin front disk will fit the Dommie wheel, and is the right size for the TA.

Re AT wheels on the TA, as far as I'm aware, yes they will fit, but beware of the fact that AT wheels have duel disks at the front, so unless your Alp is a 97 onwards model (as this is when the TA changed to duel disks at the front), you will strugle a bit.
Alternative to this is as well as the wheel, you could swap the front forks aswell to give the mounting points for the second caliper, although this then means further expense of the forks (although you could get most of this, if not all of it back when you sell your original forks again...:thumb:), another caliper, replacing the brake lines and a second set of pads (most of these available of Ebay).
The advantage whould be increased stopping power due to two disks at the front, which isn't really a disavantage compared to a smallish cost layout, is it...:thumb:

I'm sure that someone else will be along soon to offer another solution, but thats what I'd be looking at doing, if you cant find either a TA front wheel, or a Dommie one.

One further option for you is... As I'm changing my wheels I will have a spare front wheel, with a fairly new disk attached, and front tyre with approx 2-3 mm tread left on it. But firstly, dont get your hopes up for this too much, as first dibs on this wheel have gone to Warthog, but if he doesn't need it anymore than it could be yours (and also the fact that it is still on my bike at the minute, as funds ran out for me to buy a AT disk for the Dommie wheel...;)).

Titch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive got a dommie front wheel i could sell you
Yes, I am intrested!
Do you happen to know if my TA disk will fit it/on the bike?
How much do you want for it? Is it free on corrosion. I have the dreaded MoT at the end of the month.
I'm a newbie on this site. Is there a way of contacting you other than posting?
Thanks

·
Registered
494 Posts
im sorry i have no idea if the wheel or disc will fit its a dommie wheel with disc bareings spindle and speedo drive i cant see any corrosion at all but will strip the tyre off and check the inside if alls good £50
my email is [email protected]

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi there again mate,

Re the disk from the Dommie front wheel... no it wont fit the TA, however the Africa twin front disk will fit the Dommie wheel, and is the right size for the TA.

Re AT wheels on the TA, as far as I'm aware, yes they will fit, but beware of the fact that AT wheels have duel disks at the front, so unless your Alp is a 97 onwards model (as this is when the TA changed to duel disks at the front), you will strugle a bit.
Alternative to this is as well as the wheel, you could swap the front forks aswell to give the mounting points for the second caliper, although this then means further expense of the forks (although you could get most of this, if not all of it back when you sell your original forks again...:thumb:), another caliper, replacing the brake lines and a second set of pads (most of these available of Ebay).
The advantage whould be increased stopping power due to two disks at the front, which isn't really a disavantage compared to a smallish cost layout, is it...:thumb:

I'm sure that someone else will be along soon to offer another solution, but thats what I'd be looking at doing, if you cant find either a TA front wheel, or a Dommie one.

One further option for you is... As I'm changing my wheels I will have a spare front wheel, with a fairly new disk attached, and front tyre with approx 2-3 mm tread left on it. But firstly, dont get your hopes up for this too much, as first dibs on this wheel have gone to Warthog, but if he doesn't need it anymore than it could be yours (and also the fact that it is still on my bike at the minute, as funds ran out for me to buy a AT disk for the Dommie wheel...;)).

Titch.
Greetz
Sorry to be a pain. I have an MoT at the end of the month. I have 2 TA's (one recently recovered from a farmyard) and a total of one MoT passable wheel (a rear drum).
I need to know if my disk will fit the Domi front wheel and then that into my forks to replace the knackered wheel I have?
I've been getting my knickers in a twist on this one. The age/state of the bike ('87) precludes the £200-£400 to rebuild with a new rim (£340 from honda just for a bare rim).
I have been watching this Africa wheel:-
HONDA 650 XR AFRICA ROUE AVANT JANTE 21' MOYEU RD03 on eBay (end time 20-Mar-10 20:04:11 GMT)
There is no disk with it.
In the photo it looks the same as mine. Could this be an earlty Afrrican, or a european model, or is it an optical illusion? Its a lot of postage! And if its not a direct replacement, then a waste of time/money/etc.
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.

·
Registered
56 Posts
If only you where closer I could have sorted you out mate with a set of wheels I took off mine when I done the conversion.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Greetz
I need to know if my disk will fit the Domi front wheel and then that into my forks to replace the knackered wheel I have?
I have been watching this Africa wheel:-
HONDA 650 XR AFRICA ROUE AVANT JANTE 21' MOYEU RD03 on eBay (end time 20-Mar-10 20:04:11 GMT)
There is no disk with it.
In the photo it looks the same as mine. Could this be an earlty Afrrican, or a european model, or is it an optical illusion? Its a lot of postage! And if its not a direct replacement, then a waste of time/money/etc.
Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
Think you might have missed this bit...

Basically.... NO.. your TA disk will NOT fit the Dommie wheel, BUT the Africa Twin front disk WILL fit the Dommie wheel, and IS the right size for the TA.

Re the wheel you are watching on Ebay... looks to me to be a TA wheel or possibly a very early AT wheel, probably the 650 AT, as it looks like only a single sided disk mounting, and being a six point mounting looks more like a TA wheel... so your disk should fit this one without a problem (but don't quote me on that one...;);)).
I ran the item description through Google translate and this is what I got:

HONDA 650 AFRICA TWIN RD03

FRONT WHEEL, RAYONNAGELEGEREMENT Corrodi, PROVIDE A CLEANING

HS IS THE TIRE AND WILL BE DETACHED BEFORE SENDING

Not too sure about the bit in red... does this mean it is corroded or not:confused::confused: (anyone speak French who can give a better translation..:confused:). Postage to me doesn't seem that bad, think I paid about £30 postage on two wheels sent to me, and that from the UK.

So to make it a bit clear for you... the wheel off Ebay SHOULD fit your disk... The Dommie front wheel WILL fit your forks etc, and spindle is the same size also... BUT you WILL need to purchase a AT front disk to fit the Dommie wheel as your TA one will NOT fit the Dommie wheel..(TA front disk has a 6 bolt mounting, and the Dommie has a 4 bolt mounting).

I got the information about the disk sizes etc which will fit the wheel direct from the tech guys at EBC who did the searching for me to determine the correct dimentions of the disk, including the mounting points, diameter, disk thickness etc.

Hope this helps clear things up for you,

Titch:thumbup:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Titch for all the info, esp about the different number of bo;ts.
I checked out a few translatorsand they talked of ‘shelf’ and ‘rack’.
RAYONNAGE LEGEREMENT --SHELVING lightly corroded. I think it may be a slang term for rim
I am not sure what ‘lightly correded’ means. I went to look at a bike on fleaBay awhile ago that was described as ‘very good condition.’ It turned out to be just short of a rat bike, rusty with loads of broken bits.
“Buyer beware!”
I would be very interested in your front wheel.
Thanks again

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If only you where closer I could have sorted you out mate with a set of wheels I took off mine when I done the conversion.
Hi Cookie Munster
If you still have the wheels I would definitely be interested in the front one. I also need a rear one with disc brake, but I assume you have changed to that in your conversion.
Would it be possible to post it/them?
How much would you want for the front or both?
Do you have any way of contacting you, eg an email or mobile?
Thanks again
S

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi there again mate,

Titch.
A wheel that bolts straight on would be perfect. How much are you selling it for?
Is there any way of finding out if Warthog is interested in the near future? I’m getting a bit jumpy now with days left before the MoT runs out.
My nobile is 07989232629 if you want to txt/call.
Thanks again

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Cookie Munster
If you still have the wheels I would definitely be interested in the front one. I also need a rear one with disc brake, but I assume you have changed to that in your conversion.
Would it be possible to post it/them?
How much would you want for the front or both?
Do you have any way of contacting you, eg an email or mobile?
Thanks again
S
Sorry for the delay in replying but if you want to email me at [email protected]$ I can send you any pics and prices

CM

1 - 12 of 12 Posts