Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey sorry to bring fuel consumption up again, but i was looking through my Haynes manuel for something, when i noticed that it say the xl650 transalp should only be getting 33mpg (miles per imperial gallon) or 7.3mpl (miles per litre). This gives a tank range of 143miles. This seems very low to me. have been using one of those fuel logging apps on my phone every time i fill up for the last 4 months (about 4500 miles) and in that time i have done ever type of ridding possible, from just nipping round town (start-stop) to long all day motorway blasts with full luggage. My fuel consumption looks like this

Haynes......................... 33.0mpg / 7.3mpl (Tank range=143miles)

My fuel consumption.
Best.............................69.2mpg / 15.3mpl (Tank range=300miles)
Average........................62.4mpg / 13.8mpl (Tank range=270miles)
Worst...........................52.6mpg / 11.6mpl (Tank range=228miles)
*these are rounded to 1 decimal place

It just seems a bit odd that the data in the Haynes manuel is so different from mine.

What do people think?

Jack

·
Pleb
1,792 Posts
I get about 50 on average. It drops at anything over 80mph though and a ton empties a tank at more like the Haynes figure....

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
High fifties on mine usually. 80mph or 6K revs is the point at which it starts to drink fuel. Couldnt imagine doing 100+ for long though but would expect less than 40mpg. Refitting a nice rounded top box has improved my fuel consumption by about 10%

·
Registered
187 Posts
300 miles tank range ??:eek:??

I have a standard 650V and get 180 mile range at the top of the red mark on the dash that is about mid 50's/gallon.

Please can you explain how I could attain the 300 mile range.

Graeme

·
Registered
59 Posts
HAHA I have a 600, and i get about 140 to a tank, i think we should swap manuals because apparently i should be getting 170......

·
Registered
897 Posts
Shortly after I got my 650 alp I picked a manual up at the stafford show on the way home my mate was sat in the car reading it ---- it only averages 33mpg ! he said ----- I could'nt stop laughing,

I get around 60 mpg and am sure on one steady day out I got over 70mpg so much for the book eh :)

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
300 miles tank range ??:eek:??

I have a standard 650V and get 180 mile range at the top of the red mark on the dash that is about mid 50's/gallon.

Please can you explain how I could attain the 300 mile range.

Graeme
I would love to hear that explanation aswell.

I get 17 km/l and around 300km on a tank cruising at 110km/h

·
Registered
21 Posts
Surely your tank figures are for km not miles. If I got 300 miles out of a tank I'd be a very happy (and rich) bunny. 190 miles, tops (and that's really pushing it).

Ed

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Well going on the math, 300 miles is possible. When i was riding through france mainly back roads 50mph that sort of thing, i was doing about 230-250miles between fill ups with still 2-3litres left in the tank.

If the tank is 19.6 litres and i can get between 14-15 miles per litre that gives a theoretical tank range of 274-294 miles which i know does sound a lot but it is possible assuming you can run the tank completely empty. That was with full luggage (top box, panniers, roll bag, tank bag).

If the numbers add up it must be right??? most of the time

jack

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
If taking it fairly easy, I have been getting circa 250 miles before refuelling, which takes about 18/19ltr (58/60mpg), so perhaps 260+ miles until i run out.
I guess someone with an uber efficient bike to be getting towards the 300 mile mark?

Phil

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk

·
Registered
187 Posts
Anyone up to a test?

I'm only commuting 10 miles each day hardly over 45! and have no plans for a day out with our Irish weather etc!

Graeme

·
Registered
21 Posts
Well I'm tracking mine with Fuelly and my best is 56mpg and I tend to be averaging about 53mpg. My commute is roughly 54 miles each day and nearly all dual carriageway and I tend to cruise at between 70-75. I can get 4 trips in before I need to fill up, which means about 220 miles and I will put in 19 litres.

However the bike chain was well and trully knackered so with the new chain and sprocket fitted I'd expect to get a bit more mpg due to less power lost though the final drive (Don't know yet as the bike's back at the dealers waiting for a rear wheel rebuild).

I also know someone who has recently got a BMW F800 and by sticking to 50-55 mph and slipstraming lorries has been getting 80+ mpg, though I don't think I could put up with that level of monotony, even for an extra 30 mpg.

·
Posh Bird
562 Posts
Wow compared to you lot I chew through the fuel. I almost ran out at 110 miles this summer!!! She was fully loaded with panniers & topbox, I was averaging at 85ish. And again on the way back from the National fully loaded too and riding at a decent speed I got around 130 out of the tank.....
I'm due a new chain I think so will see how that changes things.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts