Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
my xrv rd04 burned the fuel cut off relay . I removed the burned relay and bypassed the wires . but it did the same the jump wire started to get hot.
any ideas what could be the cause?
thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Could the pump contacts have fused together creating a dead short?

·
Registered
177 Posts
that would have melted the plastic connection where it plugs to. right?
If the fuse hasn't blown then it isn't likely to be a short circuit. More likely cause is poor connections between the plug and the relay. Did you clean all of the tarnish and burn marks from the wires before bypassing? Poor connections generate heat as current jumps the gap. The hotter it gets, the less current that gets to the load (the fuel pump) and the worse the damaged gets and so on to the point where all the available power goes as heat, then opens the circuit permanently or causes a fire.

The circuit diagrams shows 3 wires to the fuel relay, black/red, supply from fuse, black/ yellow (or blue/ green) switching from ignition controller, blue (or black/ blue) switched supply to pump. The black/ red needs to be connected to the blue (black/ blue) but they also need to be cleaned up first.

The most common cause of burnt wiring on bikes is poor connections, either between lugs/pins in plugs, or between frame and devices that return current through it (e.g. rec/ reg). With age and vibration the lugs get loose.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The bike was completely restored, only thing left to do is paint work on tank and cowlings . It worked great, never rode it i just got her to work once or twice a month. i think this problem started after i tried to start with my vw passat battery!
could this stupidity be the cause?
thanx for your replay

·
Registered
177 Posts
Jump start from a car shouldn't be a problem. I have seen it cause the CDI on a Hyosung to fail, when the jumper cables were connected after the ignition was turned on, but never on a Honda.
I'm guessing that the plastic plug connecting to the relay had become a molten mess. That will have been poor connections between the male and female lugs of ther relay and plug.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I´m waiting for one to arrive but afraid it will happen again. Gonna look at all the connections on the fuel circuit as you said before. the old one literally started smoking, i also bought a fuel pump and noticed that the plastic connections from male to female are a bit on the loose side. i´ve seen somewhere that to solve this we should twist the male plugs little bit to one side.
thanks, regards

·
Registered
177 Posts
I´m waiting for one to arrive but afraid it will happen again. Gonna look at all the connections on the fuel circuit as you said before. the old one literally started smoking, i also bought a fuel pump and noticed that the plastic connections from male to female are a bit on the loose side. i´ve seen somewhere that to solve this we should twist the male plugs little bit to one side.
thanks, regards
If you can remove the female lugs from their plug, either replace them with new lugs or, as I've done in the past, squeeze them carefully with a pair of pliers. The first time I did that, I needed a pair of multi grip pliers to close the plugs together when I'd finished. I ride that bike another 100,000km without any further electrical gremlins.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts