Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just thought I would share a bit of info with you all.
I have a Transalp 650 year 2000 model and am now getting increased mileage (reduced fuel consumption) after doing the following.
  • Installing a K & N air filter (better breathing and more guts at higher revs).
  • Changing the front sprocket to 16 teeth .
I now average 60mpg (was 55mpg). These are fairly accurate figures, measured after filling the tank many times. My GPS also coresponds with the bike odometer within 1%.
The higher gearing also makes for more relaxed cruising on faster roads.
Regards
Tim

·
geriatric
2,474 Posts
If you search the forum you'll find a multitude of threads on this subject, I myself regularly get 60+ mpg on a good run, with the right gearing etc there are numerous different results.
Welcome to the forum by the way, might be worth introducing yourself in the "let me introduce myself" thread. And good choice of bike.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have a Transalp 650 year 2000 model and am now getting increased mileage (reduced fuel consumption) after doing the following.
  • Installing a K & N air filter (better breathing and more guts at higher revs).
I now average 60mpg (was 55mpg). These are fairly accurate figures, measured after filling the tank many times. My GPS also coresponds with the bike odometer within 1%.
Regards
Tim
I switched to the Piper Cross filter for the same reasons.
I have also put a 16 tooth front sprocket on the bike, now I have replaced the discs and pads I hope to get great mileage on TLD 2010.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I am not getting 60+mpg however I have std from sprocket but do have a K&N. I thought I would share that recently I have been sitting at higher revs before changing (eg in 30 mph zones in 2nd etc) and this has delivered 4 mpg increase in fuel efficiency (measured over two tank fills) :D

Reads like I am a slave to the mpg :hitler:

·
Registered
417 Posts
I get between 48-52 mpg on my 650, depending how i ride it.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Sorry SIR, ha ha i will try my best, but its difficult with a bike thats so bloody good !!:toothy7:

·
Registered
182 Posts
Out of interest I have been checking my '08 TA 700 fuel over last 1000 miles. Motorways A roads B roads the lot. I have been returning a average of 60.6 miles/ gallon. fat-mal:glasses1:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I am noticing that we still check the Economy in terms of M.P.G.
It should be easier to work it out as M.P.L. As we buy fuel in litres and do x amount of miles for every one we fill up with.

·
Registered
417 Posts
It should be easier to work it out as M.P.L. As we buy fuel in litres and do x amount of miles for every one we fill up with.
I do, but then multiply bt 4.54 to covert to mpg. Am i anal ??...... probably.

·
Registered
417 Posts
:thumbup:

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I have a program on the lap top that works out the fuel consumption in miles per litre, cost ETC.
I added a couple of fields to covert to MPG and to give the Approx tank range.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I have a program on the lap top that works out the fuel consumption in miles per litre, cost ETC.
I added a couple of fields to covert to MPG and to give the Approx tank range.
Well thats why i needed to know the figures, dont want to run out of jungle juice in the middle of nowhere:cool:

·
Registered
246 Posts
Regards
Tim
Might have to try this. My average is 50/51 MPG and I don't think I ride that hard. MPG is my only problem with the bike really. Apart from that :thumbright:
Rick

·
Registered
182 Posts
You are right but us elders can relate to the real money of gallons and pounds per square foot.:confused: fat-mal
PS Just cant get my head round popping out for a swift 568 ml.

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
You are right but us elders can relate to the real money of gallons and pounds per square foot.:confused: fat-mal
PS Just cant get my head round popping out for a swift 568 ml.
I still miss the £.s.d money.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I might try the mods aswell. I usually get 46-48mpg, though I do ride with spirit. I notice that as soon as I top 80mph it seems to drink fuel like mad and drops as low as 40mpg.
Perhaps I'll start with the filtre and see if that makes a difference before putting another cog on!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts