Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a recent little trip up north, 640 miles from 11.3 gallons, thats nearly 57mpg
It was a "relax and enjoy the scenery" trip (mixture of scenic roads, or camera/polis infested routes like the A9/A85) but I'm still astounded!

Kept stopping for fuel at about 180 miles and finding that only 13-14 litres would go in the tank...

Methinks the recent carb clean up and getting the choke sorted was well worthwhile!

pretty (?) pictures...

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
57 is great! Best ever on mine ('94 model) was just under 50 mpg (long trips, fairly relaxed non-motorway speeds). Using it for my daily commute (10 mls distance, so relatively many "cold" miles) it is typically around 40 mpg.
Interestingly my "stone-age engined" Buell does around 60 mpg (best) and 50 mpg (avarage), which again is similar to the "AT-like engined" Honda NTV I once owned. Both are less depending on speed as well: I suppose the aerodynamics / size of the AT were not specifically designed for great fuel economy. The short gearing (esp 5th gear) does not help much either.

Oh yes, and those ARE nice piccies 8)

G

·
In 20k miles the worst I have had is 49mpg, the best 60mpg with an average of about 55.

The thing that seems hit economy most is 80+ cruising on the motorway which I try to avoid (the motorway that is).

Steve

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hi guys

Did Birmingham to Bristol a few weeks ago, all down the A38 and no motorway, filled the tank up before leaving, managed just about 100 miles and then filled the tank up again before leaving bristol, managed to squeeze £6 in.

Normally on a 9 mile commute i put in around £10 in every 130 miles, sometimes i mange a tenner, sometimes i can't and sometimes it needs a little more.

Sorry but brain just can't work out how many miles to the gallon that is

Sie

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
simplysie said:
Hi guys

Did Birmingham to Bristol a few weeks ago, all down the A38 and no motorway, filled the tank up before leaving, managed just about 100 miles and then filled the tank up again before leaving bristol, managed to squeeze £6 in.

Normally on a 9 mile commute i put in around £10 in every 130 miles, sometimes i mange a tenner, sometimes i can't and sometimes it needs a little more.

Sorry but brain just can't work out how many miles to the gallon that is

Sie
Unless you know a place that sells very cheap petrol, that would about 52 resp 41 mpg. Just like mine!

I wonder if later models run leaner / more economical? Mine is a '94 model, what is yours?

·
Senior Consulting Member
1,982 Posts
Great pics.

I get between 50 and 60 mpg from my '94 AT depending on the type of road and how chilled out I am with the throttle. Only used to get low 40's from my TDM850 however I rode it.

·
Premium Member
9,523 Posts
I have to say I'm not really bothered what I get to the gallon as long as the bike is going well.
Mind you having said that being able to go all week on one tank is nice. I do 180 miles ish a week.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I think my economy is pretty poor, or I give it the berries too often.

Use it for commuting in London (yuk), then gave it a blast down to Ashford (Kent) on saturday - was in a hurry tho. The first of the 2 fuel lights came on at 125 miles.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Love the colour of you bike icenian.
Cool panniers too you migh pass on the details of them are they throw over ones requiring no racks ect.
My milage usualy averages between 170 and 200 miles per tank from full to next petrol station after i have to switch to reserev mines a 1995 model.
Im experimenting with using the more expencive petrol from shell at the moment to see if it does make an AT go like a farrari.
let every one know the results of my test.

·
skeptical old git
1,734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
banger said:
Cool panniers too you migh pass on the details of them are they throw over ones requiring no racks ect.
They are just Oxford "Sports" panniers, though they have changed the design (again!)

http://www.oxprod.com/pages/Panniers.html

The one I have are pretty good, and the fat velcro straps are pretty secure. This is an improvement on the old version which used plastic clips, which could break.

I'd strongly advise anyone with the old style Oxford panniers to get rid of them, now.
When the plastic clips break a pannier can go into the rear wheel. This photo is taken from the point at which my rear wheel locked up...

This is what it did to the tyre:

(part of the steel carcass is poking out there)

A closer look at this picture (below) shows that the skid mark bends to the left at the end. That's because as I came to a halt, I decided to park the bike up neatly at the side of the road
(well, it made sense at the time).

·
Generalissimo Tea Boy
6,040 Posts
I'm glad you only took pics of the first set of skidmarks and not the fear induced ones. I've got a set of Oxford sports panniers and the velcro that joins the two panniers together is brilliant despite my initial misgivings. Even fully loaded and bashing about off road they never gave me a moment of bother. The width can get a bit out of hand when fully expanded, which was fine until until I had to squeeze through a 20 mile M25 special on the way home from holiday. I think I added a few go faster stripes to the repmobiles.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
Looking at that green trailer on the left of the picture I wonder where you needed those panniers for in the first place? :p

I had a similar problem with the Oxford tail pack, fully loaded with Tesco's finest on the back of the Buell. Couple of pleasantly looking examples of the female species in sight inspired me to open the throttle a bit more than necessary and "clunck", pack fell over the back and blocked rear-wheel. I broke my pride and a box of 12 free range eggs. Could not fault the tail-pack really, I had only loosely fastened the elastic bands under the seat and the pack was really heavy.

I have used the Oxford "1st Time" set (tail-apck, tank bag and throwover bags, bought on a special at M&P for only £70!) on both my Buell and the AT on two Europe trips and I was really impressed by them: amazing value and sure fit (if you take a bit of time for it ;))

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I get 150 miles on a tank (well, until I need to change to reserve. ).

On a daily commute, I can just about to a return journey on a single tank. That is 75 Miles of Motorway Driving / across London (M3,M25,A3,EC4M).
Normally holding 90 - 100 ish, filtering 30 - 50mph in traffic. The return journey if its quite late, often see's 100 - 115 all the way home. (I usually have to switch to reserve for the last 10 - 15 miles of so if im caning it).

On a steady run, I can get 180 miles, or 240 inc reserve.

I use the Givi MonoKey TopBox, and a rucksack. I dont use the side panniers as I cannot filter in London Traffic verywell with them on.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
landyandy said:
EC4M eh? That's where I am.
Holborn Viaduct, (FleetPlace) Just above the ThamesLink Station (overlooking SnowHill PoliceStation). Our company Carpark is underneath. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
First results for MPG test

First results for MPG test using Shell V-Power Petrol.
Total miles 182
Fast back road riding 60
The rest-
Commuting on dule carriage 30 miles each way to work 60/70 mph
MPG 49.6 - Cost 16 Euro 50 cent
'Stay tuned for further updates'

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
jvaughan said:
The return journey if its quite late, often see's 100 - 115 all the way home.
I suspect you're exploring the very edge of the fuel efficiency envelope. Which is good news, because 150 miles to reserve is about 37mpg. For the rest of us mere mortals I'd expect 2-figure speeds to register around 50mpg.

Iain

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ekk - Low getting low forties (MPG and in age) and it never seems to vary much because I rarely get the chance to " tour ".
So its it age related :( ……I think not

I use all the power (?) available , that’s why I don’t have the latest sporty offering, my wife feels I’m safer on a AT s, its got presence and is enough power ( ? ) to stop me doing silly things . :twisted:

AT don’t stop people doing U turns in middle of road as in this morning , however when your baring down on the driver door , lights on , a hoot of the horn and its was the look on the driver face !!
I had loads of road to stop in , saw it coming but just wanted to remind him how big a AT look face on :shock:

Northy

·
Registered
122 Posts
No, 182 miles and had had not reached the reserve before topping up.
Cost of top up was 16.50 Euro @ 98.9 cent a ltr.
Sorry I posted this in the wrong topic also :roll:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts