Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

After yesterdays short ride I noticed a substantial fuel leak from the drain hose that runs from carbs. It wasn't just dripping, the fuel was properly pouring out. The strange thing was that the bike was running completely fine and the choke was responding properly. Any ideas what might be the cause of this problem before I start disassembling the carbs?? Stuck floaters, clogged jets? The bike was running fine this year, I've changed the in-line fuel filter, air filter etc. I also have the Facet fuel pump...

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Mine did that so I found a rough lane and blasted down it and its been fine since. If you can tap the side of the carb it may stop it. Im pretty sure its a stuck float

·
Registered
75 Posts
I would agree with een705, that hose will drain fuel one of two ways, either a stuck float needle or by opening up the float bowl drain screw at the bottom of the float bowl where that hose is attached.

Good Luck!

·
Administrator
1,775 Posts
I had the same on the Transalp....I ended up taking the carbs off but never found a specific problem.... once all back together, no leakage and it's been fine ever since! Float must have stuck, but don't know why - just having a bad day,perhaps :cool:

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mine did that so I found a rough lane and blasted down it and its been fine since. If you can tap the side of the carb it may stop it. Im pretty sure its a stuck float
Funny, because in my case i noticed it AFTER riding on a rough lane. Aren't ATs supposed to be made for that ?;)
Anyway thank you for initial suggestions, I tried shaking and "tapping" the bike itself in various ways, which didn't solve the problem. I'll now have to take the tank off to get to carbs...

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
It's almost certainly the float needle/s. They are alloy and occasionally come out in sympathy for the wheel rims which suffer the same problem (only in a bigger way ! ).

It'll be a little bit of corrosion that stops it's sprung pin from working some or all of the time. Put a new ones in for less than 20 quid (give the carbs a clean as a treat while you're at it.

When putting it all back together, be completely sure you have fitted the airbox rubber manifolds securely and with no air leaks. Fail to do this and you will just be creating another running problem.

Happy Daze ! :)

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Soheasy for encouracing words.
I must admit however I haven't been optimistic in the past days. Before taking the carbs off and after tapping them a couple more times, I tried forcing the the needles to go back to their position by running the carbs dry (fuel tap off and engine running until shuts off) - an advice from a more experienced mechanic. Unfortunatly after that I wasn't able to start the bike anymore. Bypassed the fuel pump to cross that off the problem list. Then the bike finally starts but one carb throws up into my airbox with a gasoline-oil mixture o_O
So now, time to take everything off, urgh:rolleyes:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts