Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all my rdo4 has been changed over to uk speedo clocks . meaning i have no fuel lights i have found two bulbs behind clocks and have the old clocks see picks
are these bulbs likely to be for fuel lights
new clocks have no where for bulbs any suggestions for a set up for this
thanks in advance greg

Attachments

·
Junior
472 Posts
RD07 don't have fuel light cause it have reserve on the fuel tap , you might need to change to RD04 bulb holder

Val

2 bikes , twice is happy ?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
RD07 don't have fuel light cause it have reserve on the fuel tap , you might need to change to RD04 bulb holder
any one any suggestions to and how to install the 2 fuel lights

Val

2 bikes , twice is happy 樂
the bulb holders seem to be part off the speedo and dont split from side off clocks

·
Junior
472 Posts
I have look this evening , bulb holder part of frame for speedo and rev counter holder , so you should be able take speedo itself out and replace old one leave everything else there .
part 10
Val

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
The bulb holder for the "idiot lights" is part of the speedo unit, and is not detachable.

The RD03 and RD04 had larger, and separate clocks. Later bikes which were fitted with the Tripmaster above the clocks had smaller diameter speedo and rev clock, to make space above for the Tripmaster. These clocks were built as one unit and never had the fuel level lights, as the later tanks didn't have fuel level senders in them.

If you want to do it properly, you need to fit the earlier clocks. You have the option of either trying to locate an early RD04 MPH speedo, which don't come up often, OR you could use your original KMH speedo with a reduction gear between the speedo cable and speedo clock. This will basically mean what is shown on the speedo is MPH rather than KMH.

Bob :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Having explained all of that, I look on eBay and there is a set of late RD04 clocks (which featured a Tripmaster) that DO have fuel level lights in them, however they are KMH, so no good for you!

HONDA AFRICA TWIN INSTRUMENTS CLOCKS AFRICAN TWIN BIKE BREAKING | eBay

I'm now wondering if you do have a late model RD04 that had the Tripmaster? What model/year is your bike??
Looking at your pics (showing the bulbs) it looks like you have an RD04 L or M model (with white frame, and larger diameter separate speedo and rev clock)

If so, you could use the mechanical converter, like this....

Speedo Drive Unit Speedo Conversions KMH to MPH Speed Converter | eBay

OR, you could do what I have in the past and move the MPH mechanicals into the casing of your KMH clock. It's only a few screws (atleast it is on the early ones)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having explained all of that, I look on eBay and there is a set of late RD04 clocks (which featured a Tripmaster) that DO have fuel level lights in them, however they are KMH, so no good for you!

HONDA AFRICA TWIN INSTRUMENTS CLOCKS AFRICAN TWIN BIKE BREAKING | eBay

I'm now wondering if you do have a late model RD04 that had the Tripmaster? What model/year is your bike??
Looking at your pics (showing the bulbs) it looks like you have an RD04 L or M model (with white frame, and larger diameter separate speedo and rev clock)

If so, you could use the mechanical converter, like this....

Speedo Drive Unit Speedo Conversions KMH to MPH Speed Converter | eBay

OR, you could do what I have in the past and move the MPH mechanicals into the casing of your KMH clock. It's only a few screws (atleast it is on the early ones)

my bike is 1993 rdo4 it appears to have come with the clocks which you are showing on ebay which i got with the bike
these clocks have been fitted now see picture if i fit old clocks that still leaves me with out the side stand warning light

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
my bike is 1993 rdo4 it appears to have come with the clocks which you are showing on ebay which i got with the bike
these clocks have been fitted now see picture if i fit old clocks that still leaves me with out the side stand warning light
I think they may be the wrong clocks for the model you have in that picture, which is why the mounting lugs are not aligning with the front subframe.

Ignoring the year, underneath the seat will be a sticker stating either RD04-L or RD04-M probably, if it has RD04-N then it will be a Tripmaster model RD04, which I think is quite rare, as the design changed shortly afterwards to the RD07.

If it's an L or M model, you need the separate clocks to fit properly. If it's the N model, you have the right sized clocks, but the idiot lights are wrong. If that is the case, you can simply separate the speedo casings and remove the MPH mechanicals and place them into your original KPH housing, that contains the correct idiot lights.

Bob

:thumbup:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They are the wrong clocks for the model you have in that picture, which is why the mounting lugs are not aligning with the front subframe.

Ignoring the year, underneath the seat will be a sticker stating either RD04-L or RD04-M probably.

You need separate clocks to align with the mounting frame, if you're going to do an original installation. If not, I'm sure you could cobble something together.

those clocks are on the bike when i got it. all seems to fit well they are in better condition than old ones and being mph.
might just be best to relocate fuel lights to another place on dash area...

·
Junior
472 Posts
Them lights are useless anyway , better way to keep eye on the fuel level by trip meter set to 0 every fill , that what I do

Val

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
those clocks are on the bike when i got it. all seems to fit well they are in better condition than old ones and being mph.
might just be best to relocate fuel lights to another place on dash area...
Sorry, I was editing that post as you replied :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think they may be the wrong clocks for the model you have in that picture, which is why the mounting lugs are not aligning with the front subframe.

Ignoring the year, underneath the seat will be a sticker stating either RD04-L or RD04-M probably, if it has RD04-N then it will be a Tripmaster model RD04, which I think is quite rare, as the design changed shortly afterwards to the RD07.

If it's an L or M model, you need the separate clocks to fit properly. If it's the N model, you have the right sized clocks, but the idiot lights are wrong. If that is the case, you can simply separate the speedo casings and remove the MPH mechanicals and place them into your original KPH housing, that contains the correct idiot lights.

Bob

my bike is an L model

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Managed to sort this out inserted two led to new clocks

NEW FUEL LIGHTS .jpg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts