Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my AT suddenly starting being starved of fuel whilst riding around bristol today. It chugged and wouldn't do more than 1500rpm, so I pulled over and tried to kkep it running but to no avail! I put the choke on full and it spluttered back into life before cutting out, this went on for about five minutes before nothing would work! A few tries later and it fired back into life and has been fine since! Any ideas out there? Just a fuel blockage or could it be a fuel pump problem starting? I know people say about the fuel pump fault but not sure how it manifests itself or affects the bike! Any help appreciated. Cheers!

·
Ride the Sumo!
1,081 Posts
As it has passed I would suggest some kind of electrical intermitant fault or fuel blockage. Most mechanical faults tend not to be transient. I think if you search the forum there are details on how to check your fuel pump is ok. I think I remember somewhere that RD04's are less prone to fuel pump issues than RD07's as well.

Reactions: Stimpy

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
Did you try removing the petrol cap just in case a vacuum had formed , next thing is check fuel filter then the pump:cool:

·
Registered
195 Posts
I never had any problems with fuel blockage so I don't know how this would manifest. But I had problems with vaccum forming. If it had been a vacuum I'd say you wouldn't have been able to restart unless you opened the tank cap or did similar to repressurize the fuel line.
Unfortunately what you describe is exactly the behaviour my fuel pump showed before it passed away :angel5:
Reason for that was that the contacts have been burnt away such that they only contacted on a very small area and thus tended to stick. Since this fault had a sometimes-there-sometimes-not characteristic it took quit a while for me to pinpoint it.

I suggest you open the fuel pump (remove the black plastic cap) and carefully rework the electrical contacts with a file. It will take you like 5 minutes and unless the contacts are already very badly worn the pump will work for another long time.

Cheers
Markus

·
Registered
195 Posts
Speak of the devil!
Wanted to take my AT for a spring run, had problems to start the engine, after a while accepted that it might be the bl...y fuel pump. Checked it and guess what... contacts are badly worn.
Have to replace the pump. Reworking with the file won't help much if contacts are in such a sh... state.

Cheers
Markus

1 - 5 of 5 Posts