Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a Africa twin form 1989 DR03.

Preparing for a big trip, do I need a reserve fuel pump?

Is a fuel pump necessary or can gravity and vacuum take care of business?

Regards,

Geuster

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
You can get away without a fuel pump, by keeping the fuel tank full and allowing gravity to do its thing. The fuel pump is required as the bottom of the tank is below the level of the carbs. Keep the fuel level up (and bypass the pump) and you would be okay - although this does presume that you will be able to get fuel frequently and often.

If you are still on the original fuel pump, many owners would advise you to change it anyway.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lutin,

How does the fuelpump work?
What triggers the pump to start working overtime when there is no fuel present? What close the switch?
How does the mechanism work; the coil pushes the switch open for release?
What breaks down?

Is there maybe a drawing?

Regards

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi, i have a [email protected],and i"m not sure if my fuel pump is working.theres no sound from it when the ignition is swiched on,and doesent feel to be working when felt.have only noticed a clicking sound which lasts for a few seconds at intervals of about 10seconds. When i"ve been out for a good run,only other thing it won"t pull 3 gear at low revs without it labouring,wondering if its related to the fuel pump.any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Lutin,

What triggers the pump to start working overtime when there is no fuel present? What close the switch?
What breaks down?

Regards
Sorry, I don't know that much about the AT fuel pump - I have a Transalp, so haven't had to worry about it. However, there is this PDF file that you will probably find useful - At Fuel Pump

ESP - there's been loads written about the AT fuel pump on this site. If the above PDF doesn't help then a "search" of the site should bring up loads of hits.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
if you have the RD03, then like the RD04 you will have fuel lights and no reserve switch.

the fuel pump issue is not as great on the older AT as they dont run onto reserve like the RD07s.. when they run on reserve, the loss of fuel until the valve is set to reserve, caused the pump to cycle like crazy, and so burn the contact points. Over time the points fail/weld together.

So you may have the original pump ( mine does ).. that pump is 22years old :thumbup:

if your going on a long trip, I would change it to the facet pump and keep the old one as a spare..

cheers

Ray

·
bike nut
1,034 Posts
Hi,

I have a Africa twin form 1989 DR03.

Preparing for a big trip, do I need a reserve fuel pump?

Is a fuel pump necessary or can gravity and vacuum take care of business?

Regards,

Geuster
hey what trip you got planned?

do you have a website?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Lutin,

What breaks down?

Regards
See the following thread. I was a bit harsh in my last
post...but thats my opinion only. AT's 650 FUEL PUMP ANATOMY
What do your contact points look like?

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
As mentioned before, the fuel pump is only really needed once the fuel level in the tank drops below that of the carb float bowls.

The bit that fails is usually the contact breakers inside the casing of the fuel pump, or the plunger that is connected to the pump diaphragm seizing.

The 12v signal pulse that operates the contacts in the pump comes from one of the CDI's and is on the same circuit as the pulse used to trigger the tacho.

Hope that helps

Bob :thumbup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts