Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I suffered a recurrence of an intermittent problem with my 1999 Varadero. The problem had not occurred for more than 1000miles or so, but today, in the p***ing rain on the edge of Dartmoor its happened again.
This is what happens:-
While riding the bike splutters and loses power, changing down sometimes eases the problem, but ultimately the engine dies.
Sometimes it restarts almost instantly. At other times it will restart after leaving it to stand for a while. Today I was impatient and flatttened the battery. It would fire occasionally (maybe every 5 or 6 tries on the button) but would not pick up. Any attempt to twist the throttle would cause it to cut out.
RAC came out, put in a gallon of petrol and gave it a jump start and it fired up immediately. Brilliant.
However, ten minutes later it was spitting and spluttering again. Changing down and revving hard seemed to clear it.
I'm inclined to think the fuel pump, which is the original on a high mileage bike, might be at fault?
Any opinions or suggestions welcome

·
Premium Member
6,922 Posts
Rather than the fuel pump, could it be a blockage in the tank breather?

Have you had the tank off and trapped the breather pipe?

It's just that opening the tank to put some more fuel in would have released any vaccum drawn (by a blocked or trapped breather) so that the bike would fire up again. But it would then die again as the fuel pump gave up the unequal struggle against atmospheric pressure.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've just replaced the points (easy job) on the original pump fitted to my '99. Symptoms weren't as obvious as yours, just a sort of hanging back then surge at higher speeds. The points were pretty knackered though.

Got the replacement points from www.wemoto.com for twenty-two quid - a bit cheaper than David Silver wanted. Very fast delivery, the morning after ordering them.

I considered fitting a Facet pump, but if these points last as long as the originals, they'll probably outlive the bike. (And me!).

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys.
Lutin - Don't think its the breather. Bike's been running well between intermittent problem.

Saitek - Do you reckon my symptoms are fuel pump related? Just looked on Wemoto site. I think I could have a shot at that procedure. What a useful little vid.

Cheers Both:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
4,354 Posts
Does it only happen in rain? If so check coil, HT leads and plug caps for damage. When wet they may be shorting out but leaving things for a few minutes dries it out.

Good luck with it.

Sent from my iPhone with a smile :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
fill the fuel tank to the top and keep it full. this should let the bike run on gravity alone providing the fuel level is above the carbs. if it runs sweet then you have a pump problem. have you checked your fuel filter lately?

·
Registered
160 Posts
You can never quite tell - until you replace the points! But a '99 bike, original pump, it's a reasonable bet.
Still, the points are cheap and easy enough to fit as preventive maintenance anyway.

Also, as Austin suggests, it could be coil/HT leads/plug caps breaking down. Again difficult to isolate as a fault except by replacement. So far I haven't had an issue in that department, and unless you're taking the bike swimming, the coils etc are fairly well protected.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Having returned home after Christmas/New Year break with the in-laws, today I bit the bullet and set about sorting the problem. Naturally my first move was to start the bike just in case the problem had solved itself. Brief moment of joy when it fired up, but true to recent form soon spluttered and died.
So crash bars off, belly pan off, fuel tap off and set about the filter. Brief moment of enlightenment when I remembered the other fuel tap. Filter off, but seemed to be clear. Removed the cap from Fuel pump. The points seem to be excessively worn. Hoping the replacement set, on the way from Wemoto, will solve the problem:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bits arrived today. (Well done Wemoto - less than 24 hours) All back together again with only a bit of help from a mate. Tank off and new air filter fitted. Ready to start, but would it fire? Nope.
Tomorrow I'll get back to the pump and remove the outlet pipe to check that fuel is coming through. If it does then I guess its electrical. if it doesn't then I guess the pump is faulty (replace with Facet?)
Does this sound right?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Please let this be the final chapter. Original pump would not work, even with the new points so quickly got in touch with Rugged Roads and ordered a facet pump. Pump installed with a bit of bodging and the bike runs sweet:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Feels like a new bike. Long may it continue

·
996cc's please, Mr. Zulu!
8 Posts
Great news Jackdaw.

I had a look at my fuel pump points about 1k miles ago and they were starting to look a bit 2nd hand.

Won't bother with the Silvers rebuild kit - Will just order the Facet.

If you wouldn't mind, could you post up the Facet pump part number and any accessories you needed for the installation.

I got a quote for €38/£32 including postage to Ireland from I J Walsh in Kent. Does that sound right to you??

Cheers

Dave :thumbright:

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bought mine from Rugged Roads. Bit more expensive than your quote @£40.99 + delivery

XL1000V - Items - RUGGED ROADS - Honda BMW KTM Motorcycle Accessory

I also bought the 90 degree union to make it easier to fit the pump and could have done with two. I looked at the fitting insructions on their site, which reelate [email protected] rather than Varadero. No way could I stretch the rubber mount over the pump as in the original. Left the fitting tabs on the pump and bolted one to one of the mounting lugs on the bike.

·
Registered
15 Posts
just had my tank off to replace air filter and sure enough hiss when opening fuel cap have Itrapped the breather how do i fix it

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
The easiest way to get the rubber mount over the facet pump is to soften it slightly in hot water and use something like a couple of screwdrivers to lever it over.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts