Honda XRV Forum banner
3K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Biggybadger 
#1 ·
Hi there,

Riding today did 120 mile round trip and everything was great. Only thing I need to check is if it is about right that I had to go to reserve at around 115 miles from a full tank. It was mainly motorway riding.

Mine is a 1995 with the 16l tank.

How much should you expect from a full tank before hitting reserve? And how much do you then get from reserve?

Thank you,
Biggy

#2 ·
Hi biggy i haven't got the standard tank on my dominator but i can tell you it makes a huge difference in the way you ride to how far you go to reserve. I hit reserve about 83 miles with my normal style of riding. I've been out a few times with a guy on a beta alp and been doing speeds where i can only just get into top gear and I've been getting 105 miles to reserve on some slightly more spirited riding i have hit reserve at 73 miles so it varies allot :thumbup:

#3 ·
I use my 1999 RD08 for commuting and get to around 115-120 miles until reserve. 16l tank (or is it 17l, can never remember!). I imagine if I rode it a bit more "spiritedly" it would be an awful lot less.

#6 ·
I used to get 110-120 miles until reserve out of the RD02 13 liter tank. That had sod-all reserve though, maybe another 25 miles if that.

Dunno how many miles the bike has done, but if it's getting on a bit then replacing the needle tube might be an idea. They wear oval, causing richness at midrange. Fussy job though... Replaced mine at 35k miles, went from 48 to 53 mpg.

#8 ·
WillyW, do you have an owners' manual for the 99 RD08 then? I don't suppose it's available in electronic format...?

I have a 99 bike but a 92 manual, which states the tank is 16 litres / 3.5 gallons including a reserve of 2.5l / 0.55 gall.

#9 ·
No ..I only have the 88/89 manual +a 1997 nx500/650 addendum ( very little in it ..brakes etc) My info came from the original owners handbook although it would be nice to check it's correct.
Just looked again and the handbook that came with the bike was printed in 1994! so may not be correct . I've also just looked at the addendum which is confusing as it says 3.5 litres on one page then later 4.5! with no reference to 500/650 etc.
Guess someone needs to drain theirs!
Out of interest ..where did you get a 92 manual ? ...i've only ever seen the 88/89's in print
regards
Bill

#10 ·
I got it on eBay but can't remember where, sorry. Pretty sure I would have found it from starting here on XRV though...

PDF, not the greatest quality but better than nowt.

You mentioned addenda. Just for the avoidance of doubt, I'm talking about the owners handbook. As for the service / workshop manual, mine is 1988-89.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.