Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When putting my bike back together I found the fuel tap is leaking when in the off position, I had lost my patience in the excitement of hoping it was going to start, to open up the tap and see what was wrong.
So anyway the bike fired up as normal :p but it looks like I have a sticking float valve as I'm leaking petrol from the carb drain pipes when the ignition is on and when running so it's a further strip down to look at this

Is there a redress kit for the tap, I need to fix this as I should have done before refitting the tank!

TIA
John

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Lee, once again you have the answers:thumbright::thumbleft:

It's in my order for final bits

Cheers

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
BTW I ordered two units and will rebuild one of my petcocks.

Also, it is not unusual that after let dry for a few months, (like under a restoration) the seals shrink a bit, and that when reinstalling a petcock it will initially leak. Once fuel reach the seals, they will expand and do their job.

Lee

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stripped out my fuel tap today to install the new seal, this one doesn't fit! There is a riveted in place metal and rubber type seal in the tap, along with a ton of crap and a rock hard face seal. Had a bit of a job getting the face to seal again and had to make up a new O ring. I'll need to take the tank off again to clean out some rust that's starting and will replace the new O ring with some Viton one from work, or another tap

Cheers

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry Lee, I didn't take any, had the rage after drilling my finger while opening it up!

Will take some when I get a new tap

Cheers

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Thought I could contribute. ;-) O-ring is Viton™ and of the perfect size. It installs in the groove with no resistance and stays there without using any glue. I have drilled and tapped the petcock and used M4x10 stainless screws (M4x6 would have done too but I wanted them to be a bit longer - and I had a few 100s of them already)

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The small ring is supposed to be 14,2mmx1,3mm when purchased from Honda. I couldn't find that one, so I tried 14,1mm x 1,6 and it worked perfectly.

Now that we have the correct measures for replacement o-rings and that buying a new petcock is no longer needed wen it leaks, perhaps we can make John's thread a sticky for future generations. ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts