Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apologies if this has been covered before. I own a 2005 1000 Vara, and on the fuel tank there is 2 fuel taps. Should these be pointing up for on or down? I need to get the tank off to replace the air filter, so need to ensure i dont pour petrol over the road :mad:
Thanking you in advance for any help :)

·
yet another Dave
2,854 Posts
dont know for sure but taps usually work at 90degs

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
The tap bodies, on my '02 model at least, are marked up thus - 12 o'clock position = ON. 3 o'clock position = OFF. 6 o'clock position = ON.

Had the tank off last night without so much as a dribble - and the tank taps didn't leak either ;).

Small tip, from experience - ensure the taps are both in the OFF position when removing the fuel pipes. Even slight movement away from the OFF position allows far too much expensive un-leaded to soak into your garage carpet :rolleyes: :D :thumbup:

Steve T

:cool:

PS - dont forget to disconnect the reserve light switch sender wires & the two small pipes under the tank (breather & drain) before lifting the tank off fully

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
The taps are as Steve writes

On the fuel injected varas there are three pipes to disconnect at the back of the tank. One of them is easier to disconnect at the coupling midway down the engine on the left hand side are remove the tank with the short bit of hose still attached. Whichever way you do it a big dribble of fuel will still escape so don't panic.

Make sure when you refit the tank the overflow runs free. If it's kinked the fuel filler fills up with water when it rains which then goes into the tank when you open the cap.

Even empty the tank is heavy so it may be worth having a spare pair of hands to hold the fairing out the way.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the answers fellas. Tank taken off,air filter replaced,plugs replaced and oil and filter change. Sorted!!!

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Apologies if this has been covered before. I own a 2005 1000 Vara, and on the fuel tank there is 2 fuel taps. Should these be pointing up for on or down? I need to get the tank off to replace the air filter, so need to ensure i dont pour petrol over the road :mad:
Thanking you in advance for any help :)
It's written on my 99 model which way does what

1 - 6 of 6 Posts