Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondered what the general concensus is on fuel additives/enhancers such as Redex and the like. I have an 05 XR125L and I use it every day but look after it well. Do these treatments really have any benefit to economy/performance or are they just a way for some company to earn a fast buck.​

G

·
0 Posts
Just wondered what the general concensus is on fuel additives/enhancers such as Redex and the like. I have an 05 XR125L and I use it every day but look after it well. Do these treatments really have any benefit to economy/performance or are they just a way for some company to earn a fast buck.​
Its 6 of one and 1/2 dozen of the other. I use Redex on my Fi'd Varadero and it helps keep the jets sweet. Octane boosters are ok but if you are going to buy a tin of the stuff for £10 you might as well just use Redex and go for a higher octane petrol from the pumps and pay less in the long run.
Regards
Greg

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Usually try to use premium anyway. Obviously a bit dearer but seem to be able to squeeze a few more miles out anway. Also heard that it's better to get fuel from an actual proper garage such as BT/Shell as opposed to supermarker forecourts like ASDA/Tesco as the petrol has slightly less additives in it at proper places. Only a 125 so probably not really any noticeable boost to performance but will give the redex a go anyway.
Scott

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Redex doesn't do very much for modern engines the best ones to buy are Forte and Wurth, these are the only ones used in the trade both are expensive, Wurth is the cheaper one of the two. You don't get any power gains from any of these wonder treatments, after use it may feel like you've got more power but it's just where the injectors have been cleaned and are working more efficently, the injector cleaners can be used in carbs. It only called injector cleaner as most modern equiptment is injected. I can personnaly speak for the Wurth treatments and would give them 10 out of 10 every time. I've used there engine flush, injector cleaner, gas treatment and another one i can't remember the name of but works well on head gaskets. You poor it in with oil and if you have any leaks or weeps it seals the gaskets.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Redex doesn't do very much for modern engines the best ones to buy are Forte and Wurth, these are the only ones used in the trade both are expensive, Wurth is the cheaper one of the two. You don't get any power gains from any of these wonder treatments, after use it may feel like you've got more power but it's just where the injectors have been cleaned and are working more efficently, the injector cleaners can be used in carbs. It only called injector cleaner as most modern equiptment is injected. I can personnaly speak for the Wurth treatments and would give them 10 out of 10 every time. I've used there engine flush, injector cleaner, gas treatment and another one i can't remember the name of but works well on head gaskets. You poor it in with oil and if you have any leaks or weeps it seals the gaskets.
Do you use a website to buy the Wurth or is it a local store :confused: I have used the chain wax and cleaner, (need some more cleaner) and can recommend Wurth. Local place can get it but I think they over charge. :rolleyes:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Do you use a website to buy the Wurth or is it a local store :confused: I have used the chain wax and cleaner, (need some more cleaner) and can recommend Wurth. Local place can get it but I think they over charge. :rolleyes:
You can get them online and from their websites try independant car spares places, or any franchised dealer. I get mine from father who is a service manager for a franchised dealer. most motorcycles dealers will sell one or the other. Chain wax i use the rock oil wax i've found that to be the best on my xr i use a scottoiler on the varadero

1 - 7 of 7 Posts