Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - after posting a reply in another post I wondered if anyone else was finding themselves in the same dilemma as me.

I find that I pretty much only use the bike for commuting to and from work and with my commute getting shorter and more inner city I simply don't feel I need a big bike!

I now see the bike simply as a means of getting to and from work (15 mile round trip in crappy traffic). I am thinking that a 125 will do that cheaper and as well!

the bike has gone from being a nice toy for weekends and trips out to a tool!

I think I've lost something along the way . . . . I'm rambling, I know!

but . . . well does anyone else feel the same?

·
Hill Rider
3,089 Posts
Nope, Not me :rolleyes: :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
10,746 Posts
no its only you
you got to find games to play on your way
-Quick ride in
-how many cars can you scare out of the way
-i am sure i am going to fit through this gap oh my god,Oh my God,OH MY GOD:D
-just being able to pass cars while they sit in traffic is enough for me

·
Fine, upstanding member
2,296 Posts
On a big capacity bike 0-3000 revs is a tool, 5000 revs plus is a toy, whereas a 125 is about efficiency only. I use my bikes 90% of the time in heavy London traffic. I'd save a fortune in fuel each year (though not, strangely, in insurance) if I got a little runabout, but there's rarely a day when I don't have an opportunity to use some of the power a 125 doesn't have. And I LOVE IT!!

Your bike may not thrill like it once did, but if you realise how much you'd miss it, perhaps you'd be reminded why you like it so much.

You miserable git. :thumbup:

·
Should know better
2,980 Posts
Get a Van van! :D All the fun and all the economy too :thumbup:. Plus you can join the hordes crossing to Piel Island :cool:. Sorted.

Just don't expect to get anywhere fast :rolleyes:.

·
Registered
7,705 Posts
Now using the bike everyday - 50 mile round trip consisting of A road & busy motorway, has injected a new dimension to my biking life &, by & large I do enjoy it. Even in the crappy weather.

Barely a day goes by when I don't scream in my lid "I F....in' love this bike/come on baby/wooooooo" etc - And thats on a Transalp that I've owned for 5 years!!!:rolleyes:

Maybe you have the wrong bike for the job or a bike that doesn't "do it" for you, maybe you need to get out on a few XRV meets to help inject a little fun to your biking life ;)

What ever you decide I hope you enjoy it.

Phil

·
Registered
12,768 Posts
I gave up commuting as the bus is cheaper for me plus I then have the bike to look forward to on days off.
Maybe it is not the commute that is changing your thinking but you needing a new bike.

·
I will wash it I promise!
2,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now using the bike everyday - 50 mile round trip consisting of A road & busy motorway, has injected a new dimension to my biking life &, by & large I do enjoy it. Even in the crappy weather.

Barely a day goes by when I don't scream in my lid "I F....in' love this bike/come on baby/wooooooo" etc - And thats on a Transalp that I've owned for 5 years!!!:rolleyes:

Maybe you have the wrong bike for the job or a bike that doesn't "do it" for you, maybe you need to get out on a few XRV meets to help inject a little fun to your biking life ;)

What ever you decide I hope you enjoy it.

Phil
you are wise my friend - fancy a ride out soon?

or just a brew?

·
Bloody furriner
5,009 Posts
Mixed blessing.

I used to commute 35 km each way per day, and while I did notice that it was just boring riding and I didn't do much other riding apart from that, the ride home was a nice daily breather and a good way of getting rid of workday stress. Even in absolutely horrible weather I'd still get home tired but with a smile.

Now that my commute is 10 minutes by tram, I ride a lot less for one thing. 3 km each way isn't worth the bother of suiting up for, let alone wearing down the GS on such short cross-city trips. But I really miss that bit of "Bike Therapy" every day.

Big bikes and city riding don't work too well. If I didn't have a direct tram route to use I'd consider a little fun city-hooligan bike such as a Tricker or an NX250 on the side, and save the big bike for touring.

Then again, I should just get a bicycle, but that's effort. :rolleyes:

·
Wing Commander
14,437 Posts
You can ignore me because I work from home most of the time, so don't commute. But when I use the bike to get to a daily job elsewhere, which may be popping up to Kings Cross or heading down to the countryside near Guildford, I get an idea of what you are saying.

There are times when I just have to go and come back I think that is where your problem arises.

The thing to do, at least occasionally, is to not come straight home. Once a week, say, just go the long-way round - or arrange to meet another biker for a coffee.

I don't necessarily go anywhere. I still have the sat nav set for home but I ignore it and just keep twisting and turning until my smile makes my face ache. The sat nav corrects itself so, eventually, I just follow it home. Every time is a new route.

·
bigtrailie admin
4,710 Posts
I have only held my full bike license for two years,I ride every day but only have a 5 mile ride into work each day, So.....I haven't had time to get bored of riding, at the moment I arrive at work in a morning wishing I'd taken a longer way around and on an evening I generally take a detour to take in a hardpack bridle which is kinda on the way home:rolleyes:.
Everytime I start the bike she makes me grin, filtering past the red faced cage drivers.....makes me grin.....there was a time when I first got the AT and had a couple of spills and a few broken bones that I wondered whether biking was really for me but after a few helpful pointers from those in the know (in particular Stanbloke,PaulC,Frad and Hudders) and some not so helpful suggestions (in particular Hudders:rolleyes:) I now feel that I'm really getting the most out of the bike......I can't see a time in the near future when I will see the bike in a negative light.......... here's hoping you get that zest for your bike back

·
Premium Member
6,168 Posts
I used to commute on the bike (I sold my car) and even in the foulest weather I had fun and it was a joy to filter past the lines of cars in Edinburgh.

These days I can't really commute on bike as my round trip to work and back is around 800 miles. I have noticed that since I use the bike less for work I use it more for pleasure. I suppose I still need my kicks.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I get free use of the tube, buses and DLR in London, but mostly use the bike. Only use buses etc if I'm out power-drinknig after work.

My commute is 7 miles from my flat or 25 miles from my other half's. Some days I love it and some days I hate it. Still, beats the bloody bus.

I find if I ride a 125 in London I ride like an utter cock as I don't want to back off for anything. I like the lazy punch of the XRV. Means I can be a bit more sensible. Also think the XRV is a pretty good city bike for a lardy old 750.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'v got nothing planned for this sunday if you fancy a trip to the lawnmower museum?

Or we could head south(ish) and take in some of the lanes Frad found the other week?

That could help you find your mojo again?

Axe

·
Registered
395 Posts
I used to commute on a VFR750 and it got to the point that i hated the vfr. Too big, too heavy and you never got to use any of the power, but all that stop / start stuff just tore through the consumables.

That stopped me riding it at the weekend too.

I got an FMX instead, lovely for commuting duties, really enjoy it. Light (ish), low down punch that you get to use when traffic dodging.

It started me riding at the weekends because i like biking again.

However the FMX is slighlty less than ideal for the two up long runs that the vfr shrugged off.

I would say, if you can afford it, get another bike more sorted for the urban grind, trailies or moto's are great (apart from limited tank range and LOTS of gear changes;))

I had a ttr250 which was brilliant for commuting, weighed naff all, got 70-80mpg without trying and tryes were only £40-50 and not the £110+ of the FMX or £130+ of the VFR.
It only cost me £78 fully comp too:thumbright:

·
The Angry Pasty Muncher
6,170 Posts
Hello - after posting a reply in another post I wondered if anyone else was finding themselves in the same dilemma as me.

I find that I pretty much only use the bike for commuting to and from work and with my commute getting shorter and more inner city I simply don't feel I need a big bike!

I now see the bike simply as a means of getting to and from work (15 mile round trip in crappy traffic). I am thinking that a 125 will do that cheaper and as well!

the bike has gone from being a nice toy for weekends and trips out to a tool!

I think I've lost something along the way . . . . I'm rambling, I know!

but . . . well does anyone else feel the same?
ME
NO
Yes
No

Xr gets used for laning and work, gasgas gets used for enduro and moto-x, Vardero gets used for day trips and holidays

·
Registered
6,174 Posts
That's the position I was in when I sold my ZX9-R and got a Dominator. The right tool for the job!

·
SHW'MAE BUTT
3,270 Posts
Z come to Wales for a weekend and the bike will be permanently squeezed between your arse cheeks.:D:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts