Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So how do you go about choosing a proper size fuse? I received my new 3 circuit setup and would like to get it installed now. One line is going to my gps and another to the rear trunk. is there a rule of thumb to use for figuring things out? Also for the switched circuits can I use a rear turn signal wire? I am going to try and mount the setup under the right sidecover at this point. Going to use setup in trunk for charging phone and such. Also how much room under tank is there for running a line? Is it a pain to lift tank as I have not done it yet on this bike

·
Registered
130 Posts
Fuses need to at least slightly exceed the load they'll hve to supply. Your GPS should have info on how many amps (or watts) it requires to run. Watts divided by 12volts equals amps, i.e. 60W÷12V = 5A. I'd use at least a 10amp fuse in each circuit, because you'll end up plugging something heavier in. The indicator wire isn't the best option as a power source as it is only intended to work intermittently. There is a Haynes manual available free online with circiuits for all ATs and TAs to the early / mid 2000s and it pointed me to all the extra circuits on my '03 Transalp 650.My 650 has a power socket on the bars that I ran a circuit in "corrugated conduit" along the frame direct from the battery.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did end up putting a 10amp in the GPS line when I finished it yesterday. The setup hooks directly to battery and the signal wire was going to just be a trigger for the relay for the 2 switched wires ? I ended up hooking that to another spot and they work now only when power is on and then the 3rd wire is always hot running to my tail trunk so i have power if needed without running the bike. Run the bike this weekend and see if all is well. Thanks

·
Registered
7,707 Posts
I did end up putting a 10amp in the GPS line when I finished it yesterday. The setup hooks directly to battery and the signal wire was going to just be a trigger for the relay for the 2 switched wires ? I ended up hooking that to another spot and they work now only when power is on and then the 3rd wire is always hot running to my tail trunk so i have power if needed without running the bike. Run the bike this weekend and see if all is well. Thanks
10a is a lot for a gps, fuse rating should be lower than the current capacity of the wire (and higher than the consumption of the device)

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The switched circuits are rated for 12 amps and the unswitched at 15 amps. I could find no info on either the gps or the box about specs for gps and what to use. Should I maybe go with a 5 amp fuse? I know they don't use much but no clue exactly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
The switched circuits are rated for 12 amps and the unswitched at 15 amps. I could find no info on either the gps or the box about specs for gps and what to use. Should I maybe go with a 5 amp fuse? I know they don't use much but no clue exactly.
Post the GPS make and model and I'll search the interwebz, there may be a site awith the specs. If you are running nothing else on the GPS circuit, 5A may do the job.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just searched the Garmin Zumo (395 & 595 Models) for bikes, and it requires 12V, 1A or 5V, 2A. At that rate a 5A fuse will be a good choice.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I use an old Garmin nuvi 255 car gps on my bike, and the Garmin charger that fits into the cigarette lighter socket contains a 1A fuse.Cheers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mine is a Garmin 2559, discontinued I believe. Could not find anything at their website. I will poke around some more. Bound to be info out there somewhere I'll just look harder

1 - 10 of 10 Posts