Discussion Starter #1
from

What makes a good future classic bike? - BLOG

--------
mcdparts.co.

MCD PART's blog, technical stuff, industry and product news

What makes a good future classic bike?

Posted on 8:46pm Friday 23rd Dec 2016

By and large there are lots of bikes out there that have the potential to become future classics and of course some of them already are.

If you are interested in really old stuff such as Triton 650, Norton Model 50, Indian Chief or perhaps a 1994 Triumph Speedtwin than vintagebike.co.uk is a good starting point for you.

If you want to spend anything between £ 1500- and £ 5000- and have the storage space and the time to see your project appreciate in value, than modern japanese classics as well as some european machines are a good starting point.

Some experts recommend investing in bikes with a distinct race history,being it japanese or european but these bikes will already attract good prices now and are sometimes overrated.

Modern japanese classics date from the early 70's to early 90's and many of these bikes will appreciate in value soon. The same applies to some Apilia's BMW's , Ducati's and Triumph's from the same era. There is generally plenty of stock to choose from, parts availability is usually good, the level of engineering was already high and the bodywork was mostly of a high finish as well.
Apart from exhausts.

There are also notorious exceptions to all of this of course, and we recommend to shortlist a few candidates and to do the groundwork on them. There is loads of info out there, owners clubs, magazines such as Practical Sportbikes, MCN- Motorcyclenews and others.

Try avoiding bikes with a high mileage, even if it is in good nick it would not be a good investment.
Stay clear of hobby racers, as soon as I hear "track day" I start to glaze over.
I also find it a warning sign if a bike has had too many owners in its life- if everybody wanted to part with it very quickly there must be some reason for it.

As a rule of thumb, everything that is in good original condition with relative low mileage and unfettered with will probably gain in value at some point. If your beauty does not already have a stainless steel exhaust system it probably will need one sooner or later. Stock exhausts during these years were simply awful.

There is a well known auction site out there which is headquartered in the United States I've been told, but things can heat up a bit during the bidding process and you might end up paying more than you actually intended to. Personally I would not buy anything that I did not view beforehand.

There are also loads of magazines here in the UK with good old fashioned classic ads and true gems can be found amongst them.
Make sure you know as much as possible about the particular problems of any particular bike you are interested, it could be a dodgy shock, a leaking oil cooler, the linkage bearings, a disintegrating generator stator or the notorious regulator rectifier. Apart from the downpipes, collector box and end can.
Once identified, can you get these spares and where from?

Perhaps have a look at these:

Aprilia RS 125
BMW R 1150 GS
BMW R 100
Ducati 916 (right now everyone wants one it seems)
Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin (same applies)
Honda Hornet
Honda CBR 900 RR Fireblade
Honda XL 600 V Transalp
Kawasaki ZR 750Zephyr
Kawasaki GPZ 900 R
Suzuki DR 350
Yamaha XT 600 Tenere
Triumph Tiger 900

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
The early ones are VMCC eligible (over 25 years), I brought my 600 for VMCC event riding.
Another in the local section has a Zephyr, another a R80RT and 1985 FZR750. The 80's sports bike offer a lot of bike for £1000-1500.
Surprised they are not more collectable and on his list but he does mention that he avoids sport bikes, so would not have kept his Gold Star, 59 Bonnie, Black Shadow or Inter when they were just old bikes? ( I didn't either !!).
Just selling my VFR750 as I do not fit it very well-too old, but technically advanced and performance as much as you need/can use but poorer brakes and slender tyres tend to put people off them at the moment but light years ahead of the 50/60's bikes that are now very expensive.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Its beyond me what makes a bike sort after when it's getting on a bit, i know it doesn't matter how rare it is as i have a 1993 CB1000FP rare as hens teeth very few imported into this country manufactured from 92 to 96 yet totally undesirable in the collectors market.
I often think of parting with it because it doesn't get much use but everytime i do use it i change my mind i think its a very underrated bike like the transalp and deserves more recognition than it gets, you can pick up a good example of one for less than £1500, the build quality and reliability is Honda at its best. I don't know if will ever be worth anything in the future so i best hang onto it to find out. As for a large amount of owners well i'm the 13th owner had it from 2011 and owned one in 1995 as well :D

·
Registered
137 Posts
So my 1987 600 is a future classic?
I'm only the 3rd owner so that bit's ok,
might struggle with the low mileage bit though,,,,,,,,,
still, it doesn't matter, I bought it with the intention of riding it till it's worn out,
but that could take a while of course.

My 1978 CX500 however,,,,,,,,,,,,,
well obviously that's a classic already,,,,,,,,,,,,,

:laughing6:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
I have a CX650 http://www.xrv.org.uk/forums/other-honda/155113-uncommon-common-bike-cx650.html which appears to be rare but not sure it is collectable but 500s appear to be, chatting to a mate whilst watching the Cotswold Clouds Trial (car), he was looking for a CX and decided the were getting too expensive and brought a G80 Matchless trials instead!
I do use the 600 during the summer months as I also have other bikes taxed but over the winter I just use the TA650.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
it took a long time for any Japanese bike to be recognised as a classic even though there was a lot of bikes that you needed a bit of luck and a lot of restraint to keep them reliable and get any kind of mileage out of them and know how to spanner them yourself were very highly regarded because of the name on the tank badge . the simple Honda v twin engine as found in the transalp 600 and a wide range of model's dating back to 1983 is my favourite engine of all time . its by no means a pretty looking engine but beauty doesn't boil the pot as they say . the best looking bike to be fitted with the engine I think is the Bros/ hawk 650 I would really love one in red and fit a BMW R90S style nose fareing on it sprayed silver with a yellow lighting bolt either side as a tribute to the 60's race bikes . no need to do anything else to it . as to if some bloke who writes for a bike magazine if he thinks the Transalp is or will ever be a classic ? I really don't care I know my own mind I can think for myself I love my one and cant wait until I am over the flu I have since Sunday that's making me extra crankier the best description I heard for it like a bag of weasels and I am back smoking roll up's and that's pissing me off even more and for the weather to warm up to get back out on it . the last day I was on it a couple or 3 weeks ago my ass nearly got froze off me and that was a mild day I though when I took off . my hands and feet are like 2 blocks of ice in the house and it nearly too cold to go out to the shed for firing but I have to or else we will all freeze to death . I am really finding this winter hard . I cant wait till it done .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts