Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just bought a dommie, after a thruxton (with tourances) and I now don't have to worry about dirt roads in national parks!

Am aiming at making something street tracker(ish). Am a VERY big fan of backtracker's work and several other builders here.

Does the slr / fx vigor front rim bolt straight up to a dommie? I have observed that the slr has a bigger disc (276mm?) but it has 6 bolts to mount it, unlike the 4 bolts on NX and XR hubs..

Anyone done this mod I'd love to here from you, a factory bolt on 19" wheel would be perfect, otherwise I'll have to do custom spokes and a rear MX rim.

Any suggestions?
Cheers in advance
Tom

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Hi Tom.
I'd like to know this one to as it'll be another way to drop an inch off the ride high for my short asre son.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you considered dropping the triple clamps an inch or so down on the forks? That should help without altering things too much. I'm very keen to know about this as I've found a vigor wheel which could help me avoid custom spokes and lacing up a different rim. I just worried the disc won't fit? Perhaps machine a spacer to hang the caliper to suit larger disc a la motard style...?

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Done that thanks and looking for a little more although he can manage where it is at the mo.
I didn't know they had a different size disc, keep us posted please.

·
Registered
942 Posts
sorry bad news im afraid,the offset is all wrong,the smaller wheel wont just drop in
easiest option is to get your dommi wheel rebuilt with a smaller rim

·
Registered
942 Posts
Nick , can you explain the offset . Ive fitted a slr front wheel to my dommie forks and it seemed ok
hi jimjam,
to measure the offset run a straight edge across the face of the hub and the distance between that and the wheel rim is the offset,
now ive not actually tried a slr wheel on a domi myself,but when i was building my special i asked backtracker if the slr wheel that he used on his first special was a straight swap,
he said no the offset was different and that he had to get his slr wheel rejigged to make it fit,
the cost of that was nearly the same as having the domi wheel rebuilt with a new 19" rim,
but as you have one on your bike it looks like it can be done,so how did you get round it

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for replies. Nick in Brum I've been following your builds, very inspiring man!

Jim jam cheers mate, with the slr wheel how did your dommie caliper fit over the larger disc? Regarding offsets, can't spacers be used to centre a hub? I'm going to eliminate my speedo drive and use a trail tech vapour unit do I think I'll need custom spacers anyway

Tom

·
Registered
942 Posts
thanks for the kind words tom,nice to think my messing about in the shed could inspire someone on the other side of the planet,
now i would think if you start shifting your wheel to the left or right your going to have issues with back and front wheels being out of line,not sure thats a good idea,
however jimjam seems to have made it work,so i could well be talking bollocks,not for the first or last time

·
Registered
64 Posts
I might be completely wrong here but surely it does not matter what the offset is as long as the front and rear wheels are central. I.e. draw a line from the middle of the back wheel along the ground to the front, the middle of the front wheel should sit on the same line?

If this is the case then spacers could be used to adjust this to get it correct?

Have a good evening chaps and happy New year :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
well mine is not "on the bike" as such its just built up as a complete front end waiting to slot on the the frame, didnt notice any hassle fitting the wheel but I will go out later and have a good measure up. I have the calliper and its mounting bracket for the slr . I will drop a note back later letting you know how it all goes

·
Registered
179 Posts
well the suspense was killing me so I ran out to have a quick look, as the steering stem is hollow I could look down and through it and the central tread of the tire lines up perectly. I also measured from the flat part of the mudguard mount on the forks to the wheel rim each side and its exactly the same and the wheel spins freely so looks like all is good .Will still nip out and do a mock fit of the caliper later though .

I have however found a better way of shortening the forks but I will do a write up later today if I can get round to it :thumbup:

also for reference Back trackers Blog here honda nx650 dominator streettracker project. is very usefull and wheels are mentioned.

·
Registered
942 Posts
looks like it will work then, so long as you use the slr caliper as well,
guess backtracker hadnt worked that out when i asked him about slr wheels over a year back,
good work jimjam :thumb: , hows your project progressing ?

·
Registered
179 Posts
yeah I had a look on his build thread and there was no mention of a spacer .Ive got the slr caliper aswell as its a nice gold brembo and should be better all round .
My project is coming along slowly but now all these festivities are out the way its game on !!. I am just finishing off the frame and then I can start bolting it all back together, still not sure about paint but its going to be bright and leery and definitely will be the making of the bike as it was with all my others, side panels are all made :thumbup: got other peoples bikes to do first though but I should be able to work mine through the middle of them .

·
Registered
87 Posts
im not sure what backpacker was on about as that slr front wheel centers on a few honda trail bikes.i slipped a slr front wheel onto my xl600lm a few years ago and now its between xr650r forks.
lovely akront rim if only a bit heavy.
best of luck chaps.

·
Registered
215 Posts
im not sure what backpacker was on about as that slr front wheel centers on a few honda trail bikes.i slipped a slr front wheel onto my xl600lm a few years ago and now its between xr650r forks.
lovely akront rim if only a bit heavy.
best of luck chaps.
Hi gents

I know it's an old thread, but I thought better to bump this one than start a new one.

I fitted an FX 650 wheel today to my 1988 NX 650.

The offset is indeed off. 4.5 mm to the right. I will have to try and true it or get the backtracker rebuild.

Perhaps different year models were straighter? That's how yours was fine?

Anyway, wish me luck

·
Registered
64 Posts
Where abouts are you measuring to and from? Does the disc sit OK in the caliper? I have put an SLR wheel in my dommi project and it looks spot on but I found it difficult to measure properly.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi bikerjim

I am measuring from inside fork leg to rim on either side. It is enough to see when standing in front of the bike. Maybe this wheel I have was set up wrong as while being true it is off centre from the hub. Maybe I should return it as reading some other forums, the honda rims are always perfectly centre. I will take pictures tonight and post them here. A1 Bike Breakers assure me it is from an undamaged bike and everything working fine when they took it off.

Disk lines up just right, everything else is spot on except the offset. Very strange

·
Registered
942 Posts
redrocket have you considered having your original wheel rebuilt with a 19" rim ?
its what i did as i'd been put off using a slr wheel due to advice , which may or may not have been correct regarding the different offset ,
couple of years back it cost me about 200 quid at central wheels for a rebuild with a 19" alloy rim and stainless spokes

1 - 20 of 22 Posts