Honda XRV Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No matter what I do with it, after about 50 miles the gear lever on the 650 FX vigor loosens off on the gear change shaft.
Tried cleaning out the clamp gap with minature file, using different bolts materials with various Loctites and still loosens off.
Still changes gear but I want a solution to avoid damaging the gear shaft splines
Does any other of the 650 single gear change levers fit so I can try some more drastic options -fx650 levers rare s/h.

·
Stone Crazy
5,306 Posts
I think once they start to wear they do not stay tight , i had the same with mine, I looked at the price of a new lever , but had a spare spline block in the shed , so got the angle grinder out , cut old spline block off , and welded new one on , and it seems to be ok so far, not sure of size off the top of my head, but they come in 10 and 14 mm , for under a fiver you cannot go wrong

gear lever block from wrexham.motorcycle.center | eBay

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Get it in the vice with the bolt out and run a cutting disc in a grinder to widen the slot. You'll then have to be a little brutal tightening the bolt up but works fine.
Keep checking the tightness too.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Had a similar problem with my NX650. Lacking the smarts or tool sheds of others around here, I bit the bullet and bought a new shift lever from David Silver. 'Tweren't cheap :-(

·
Ridden for years
2,805 Posts
Get it in the vice with the bolt out and run a cutting disc in a grinder to widen the slot. You'll then have to be a little brutal tightening the bolt up but works fine.
Keep checking the tightness too.
I did the first bit on my old XL. I cut a bit off to widen the slot. But, what I then did was to use a longer bolt right through and have a nyloc on the end.
I was able to tighten the bolt and then to keep it in place, I tightened the nyloc.
Absolutely perfect and as good as new.

·
Administrator
1,767 Posts
Had a similar problem with my NX650. Lacking the smarts or tool sheds of others around here, I bit the bullet and bought a new shift lever from David Silver. 'Tweren't cheap :-(
Don't know about sizes, but ebay usually yields a few "folding gear levers" at reasonable prices. (I believe some Suzuki-fit levers ...CR85? ... will also suit the Transalp ... which may well be a similar fit to your bike ?). As mentioned above, once the old pedal splines start to wear,they don't seem to stay secure, and replacement is probably the best solution.

·
Stone Crazy
5,306 Posts
I cut the slot a couple of times, but it kept coming loose even then

Sent from my San Francisco II using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Used a thicker hacksaw blade to widen the slot. Long term will look to getting one of the folding gearshifts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had the same prob on my FX650.
I fixed by finding a thin piece of metal in the garage, inserted around the shaft and tighten.
Been Ok ever since, that was about 18 months ago.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Might be a bit late had the same issue.
everything worn after 22years!
Didn’t have any thin metal to hand but I fixed it by hammering in 4 small thin pins between the splined shaft & lever. See pics below. Once they lodged in along the splined shaft, they start to bend when you hammer them in, so then tighten up the bolt & break off the pin excess. Sorted. Solid 😉

·
Registered
2 Posts
A replacement gear lever or block Ok if your splined shaft is in good condition.
Mine were as worn as each other hence the pins fix. 👍

·
Registered
204 Posts
I did a similar fix to above but used sewing needles as they are normally a very hard metal and bite in. I've had mine like that for a few years now and it's never moved.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts