Honda XRV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just got back from a long weekend near Bayeux.
I covered over 1000 miles in 4 days, a lot of which was the ride from Sheffield to Portsmouth and the return leg from Poole to Sheffield.
Last year I did a similar trip on a Fazer600 which was obviously more suited to the task, so in preparation I made some modifications to the Vigor to make the trip easier.

1. Remove exhaust baffles, main jet up to 175, 15T front sprocket - this enables all day cruising at 70MPH at 4300RPM, no problems with the weight of the luggage and hills.
2. 15" windscreen fitted, set at a shallow angle this takes the strain off the upper body and with the exhaust mods above returned an impressive 63MPG on the motorway, even loaded with luggage.
3. Foam grips, reduces the onset of vibration white finger.
4. Airhawk inflateable seat cushion (actually a cheap copy, but it works just as well).
5. Tech 7 48 litre topbox, I hate topboxes but they're just so damn useful!
6. Loobman chain oiler - simple and brilliant
7. Throttle lock, I made my own but they're available on Ebay, this is brilliant - relieves strain on the right wrist (ooer).

Of the list above Number 1 is the most important, I can't emphasize enough what a HUGE difference this makes to the bike's performance...

I was in the company of a GPZ900, two FZS1000s and an FJ1300 so the Vigor had its work cut out, but I just got everybody to agree to obey the speed limit and it was fine.

Now I'm back I've removed the throttle lock, windscreen, airseat and topbox and the Vigor is back to green lane bashing duties.

I love the Vigor for it's simplicity, frugality, versitility, huge booming noises (from the modded exhaust) and the grin factor it delivers.

·
Registered
404 Posts
that's a phenominal mpg ...something I'd like to sort on my dommie as It seems very thirsty in fact my focus diesel estate does more to the gallon fully loaded!
i'm only a technical novice but how come bigger main jet gives better mpg? I'm always weary of tinkering with the carbs cos she runs lovely and i'm worried about creating a lean condition somewhere along the way and buggering up the motor which has only done 10K. I'd love to do "daves" mod also.
i presume by shallow angle on the windscreen you mean pretty upright/close to vertical ? I've experimented and have a givi touring screen and have run it almost vertical as the standard angle is awful turbulence wise. even very upright I wasn't happy as the increase in wind noise /helmet buffeting was very noticeable..maybe cos I'm tallish (6ft 2") have you got any pics?

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The main jet isn't the important bit, it's the de-baffled exhuast.
In standard trim the engine is having to do a lot of work to force gas through a restrictive exhaust, with the baffles removed it can breath freely. The larger main jet is only required to compensate for the slight weakening of the mixture due to the better breathing. The fuel economy increases because the engine is now running more effeciently and for a given speed the throttle is open less.
The extra power also enables the bike to run a 15T front sprocket, this reduces the engine RPM at any given road speed, which also saves fuel.
Further evidence of the increase in power was that the clutch in my Vigor didn't slip until I modded the exhuast...

I'm 6'2" as well and screens are usually a no-no for me. The screen I fitted was a Givi type universal thing, that attaches to the bars with adjustable brackets. At first attempt I set it high and near vertical, complete disaster - buffeting and wind noise. In the end I had it set low and shallow, about 45 degrees from vertical, this kept the wind off my upper body but left my head in free air, with the turbulence band at shoulder height. I could ride it like that with bearable noise from buffeting on A roads but I wore earplugs for the long motorway stints.
In general I don't like windscreens because of the noise they create through buffeting, but because of the distance it was essential to avoid arm, neck and shoulder pain.

I'm not bothered about Dave's mod or snorkel mods in general, I've always found Hondas to be very sensetive to airbox setup so I've kept mine bog standard (except for the main jet).

As a quick check, get in top gear on the dual carriageway at 65 or so and roll the throttle wide open, if the last bit of throttle movement doesn't seem to do much you're running lean. If you up-jet and end up over rich the bike will surge a little when you close the throttle again.

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
Hmm reading this with interest i have fitted a set of MIG cans to my FX today, now i have dynojetted it previously, and they recommended using there 160 jet and needle from the kit, and supplied a 165 for use with freeflow exhausts but 165 was fitted before fitting the dyno jet kit , so i am now wondering if i should get a 175 and fit or put the 165 dyno jet in, where did you get the 175 jet bob and is there a partnumber you can let me have to save me searching please
Merv

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I found that both of mine were fitted with 165 as standard, I went up to 180 which was too much, back to 175 whch is fine on the Vigor but a little rich on the SLR, so I'm going to drop the SLR down to 172.5.
The jets are standard Mikuni type and should be available ex. stock from your local bike shop (assuming it is a bike shop and not one of these tosser shiney bike jobbies you get these days).
The 172.5 I had to order from the USA via Ebay.
They seem to weigh in about £3.50 on average.
I didn't touch anything else, pilot jet, air screw all bog stock and the bikes run like a dream.

·
Stone Crazy
5,317 Posts
thanks Bob
Merv

·
Bus Driver
245 Posts
I agree!
I've just ordered a 175 mainjet for the Vigor

·
Bus Driver
245 Posts
My baffles came out today, what a noise! :toothy10:
Just giving it a quick service before taking it out on the road..

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok im new here guys,where can i find some cans for the fx 650? (don't want to butcher the honda ones) and can't seem to find anything on the net, also what's the best spark plug to put into these engines and is it good to carry a 2nd one not had the bike long and like the way it rides and thinking about a long trip.......:cool:

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
I use NGK plugs in all my bikes and can't remember a prob with any of them. You could fit an Iridium plug, last longer and some have reported better running.
Can't help with the cans sorry.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Never had any plug trouble, just put the standard one in (whatever that is). Can't hurt to carry a spare, given the small size and weight vs. the consequences of it failing.
There are no aftermarket cans as far as I'm aware - just get the standard ones gutted, it's only an old Honda, not a vintage Ducati...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts